Dark ages of architecture

Page 1 of 3
Stumbled on this while wandering around.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42353480@N02/3918900066/in/set-72157622229110201 /
basilisk

+1
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/26/12 8:56 AM, Han wrote:

You know.... it's not any worse than the bastardized amalgamation of styles that is the norm for McMansions popping up all over suburbia, today.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/26/12 10:47 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is, at least it was a style or a step in the evolution of a style.
All the McMansions around here look like someone bought home design software for their PC and just started taking chunks of different house samples they liked and assembled them together to make a big, absurd, homogenized, stew-pot of architectural vomit.
--

-MIKE-

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:32:57 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Amen. And watching them going up, they're either going to fall apart in the next 50 years or they're going to require a *lot* of maintenance.
I remember my father getting irritated when he was looking for a brick house and the real estate guy tried to sell him one with brick veneer - times have changed.
Out of curiosity, do any of you know of a builder who's actually building brick houses today? For the young'uns among you I'm talking of double wall brick with *no* wooden frame involved.

On 7/26/12 11:46 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Sorry, but I'll take the stud wall with veneer.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/26/2012 11:46 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

How long ago was that????
Somebody wrote:

Last of the "Full Brick" construction (Concrete block inner, brick outer) was built in the late '40's.
After that, "Brick Veneer" construction (Frame inner, brick outer) was the standard offering.
This would have been the NE Ohio market.
Lew
On 7/26/2012 3:24 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ohhhhhhhh, Actually there is a lot of strictly cinder block, filled with cement, construction down her in Texas.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
-------------------------------------- Last of the "Full Brick" construction (Concrete block inner, brick outer) was built in the late '40's.
After that, "Brick Veneer" construction (Frame inner, brick outer) was the standard offering.
This would have been the NE Ohio market.
My wife and her sister came into this house [ http://www.pbase.com/speedracer/image/79076095 ] about 30 miles from San Antonio in 2002 and we soon bought her sister's half. It was built after WWII and prior to 1950. Exterior walls are a hollow yellow clay tile block with a full brick veneer; wall thickness is ~8-3/4 inches. At all the window openings the interior side of the wall tile blocks are wider by four or five inches a side to allow for the rope and pulley window weights. Replacing the 35 X 36 kitchen window required the 'brick-to-brick' measurement to fit the new unit between the brick and then boxing in and reconfiguring the interior trim. Otherwise, you'd be looking a four of five inches of the backside of the brick veneer. There is a centered, load-bearing stud wall [front-to-back] and a handful of partition walls that connect with the exterior walls and everywhere there is contact between the two has seen drywall tape come undone. I've done away with the tape altogether. Thankfully, there is Liquid Nails or, I theorize, Loc-tite adhesive since I can get away without sealing the color down prior to painting. I'm guessing the rate of expansion/contraction eventually pulls the two walls apart. The Liquid Nails fix has shown new cracks where the central, load-bearing wall meets the exterior walls at both ends - front and back. So far [three years down the road] the cross-walls are holding in the corners. Several years of drought conditions, I believe, are a contributing factor. I wish I knew what kind of footing(s) those walls are sitting on.
Dave in Texas
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:47:43 -0500, Leon wrote:

Somewhere between 1945-1955 - that's as close as I can remember.

I lived in three of them in my life. Built in 1898, 1948, 1950. All are still in excellent condition. It was a very popular form of construction when I lived in Philadelphia but it did give way to frame and veneer. Mostly a cost and insulation issue.

St Louis is full of them. I've never seen so many bricks in my life ... close your eyes at night and you see bricks on the backs of your eyelids.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Google "prinsengracht amsterdam" Go to streetview anywhere on the map. Brick, pure brick ...
--
Best regards
Han
"Han" wrote in message

Google "prinsengracht amsterdam" Go to streetview anywhere on the map. Brick, pure brick ...
Were they built on wood pilings like many of the buildings I saw there? Like this one: http://www.pbase.com/speedracer/image/116048429
Dave in Texas

As I understand it, all those houses were built on wood pilings, centuries ago, and are still standing. Some modern construction is (at times) damaging them, such as the metro construction. This is because pumping out water to allow construction makes the mud settle and compact ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/26/12 12:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Here's the deal. I studied architecture in college. Unfortunately, though I studied enough to know that the style mixing I see is horribly wrong, I didn't study enough to know how to properly explain it. :-)
You're a musician, right? Medleys are fun, occasionally, right? Like when watching the Oscars or when an artist does one at the Grammys. But let's say someone replaced all the music you like with medleys. Not just of different songs, but different styles. Every song you listened to was a medley of Heavy metal, classical, Broadway, military march, big band, fusion, country, reggae, folk, polka, and Gregorian chant. Every song. You couldn't listen to any one song in one style. You could listen to an album in any one style by one artist.
That's how it is for me to drive through most new McMansion subdivisions in any *affluent neighborhood.
(*affluent: up to their eyeballs in debt, two paychecks away from bankruptcy, because they are financing a bunch of stuff they don't want or need to impress a bunch of people they don't like.) :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/26/12 2:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

For the record, I don't remember an instructor ever saying that... it's my opinion.

Like I said before, we'll have to include you in the next google+ hangout beer summit. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/26/2012 2:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh man! I hate it when someone self qualifies themselves with, I studied that in college. LOL. I had an employee that pulled that on me and he ended up eating crow every time he tried that. I don't care how times or accounting procedures have changed you don't break sequence when opening a new box of invoices. The one he was looking for was actually on the next shelf up from where he pulled. Idiot! And he "eventually" became a CPA.
I studied architecture in high school Oh man, I hate my self..LOL
A kitchen in the middle of the house was heavily, heavily frowned upon. We had to design and draw complete plans for a home, I put a kitchen in the middle of my house and was told that this was impossible and simply not done. I had to bring a Polaroid picture of our kitchen to class, to show that this design feature did exist, before I could proceed with the foundation drawings. Now, very commonplace.
On 7/26/12 3:24 PM, Leon wrote:

Sounds like you stopped reading after my second sentence. Did you miss the part where I clarified that I didn't study "enough?" My only point was that I know enough to know that 4 or 5 mixed styles on one house, on every house in the neighborhood, looks like shit.
--

-MIKE-