Dangerous in Enclosed Spaces

Page 2 of 2
Mark Jerde wrote:

last year?) I hit a 6" long bolt laying in the grass with my power mower. It flew about 40 feet before it broke the kitchen window. I found glass in every corner of the kitchen and dining area. We were lucky SWMBO wasn't standing by the sink. After that, I don't want my dog or wife outside when I'm mowing.
dave
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:57:03 +0100, LRod

Now that's a nice way to refer to your partn.....oh...sorry.

Heh, heh.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On 07 Jul 2004 12:16:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

Favorable.
JP
One other one I forgot about - don't drip paint thinner into your pants pocket. I did once, somehow (don't ask how) and awhile later felt a strong burning sensation on my leg. When I pulled my pants down there was a red welt in the unmistakable shape of the United States Capitol building, from some change that had been in there.

What US coin has the Capitol on it?

It was the flipside of a nickel, Monticello, that's it.
bub209 writes:

Did that with avgas many moons ago. Got stuck driving the fueling truck at Kaneohe Bay back in '59, for a few weeks. Used to use the drip off the nozzle to fill my lighter. It was one of those clear plastic bottom lighters, this one with a Marine Corps emblem floating in the fluid. I didn't get the screw tight, got busy fueling copters and realized an hour later that my leg was on fire. Or so it felt.
Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn
Anyone that has used a Zippo lighter for any length of time knows how that is.

Wed, Jul 7, 2004, 12:16pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB209) queries: What has your experience been with random combinations of toxic fumes that you may never have been warned about? <snip>
Over the years, a lot, of course. Including a bit of Agent Orange.
I've always tried to be careful about stuff like that, reading the labels, and not buying things that really scared me, like some of the automotive spray paints. But, for the last dozen or so years, been even more cautious about that, and stopped using some things entiredly, use plastic gloves to handle others, and been checking on alternative (non-toxic) products.
I use mostly water based paints now. For oil-based, usually kerosene clean-up, or cheap brush and toss it. Gone to water-base finishes, so far so good; but probably shellac some "delicate" stuff. Been trying vegetable (cooking) oil finishes, for maybe 7-8 years - good results - check the archives. Also tryed "natural" stains a bit, and tea stain works great, lots better than coffee. As a color "wash", thinned latex paint works well.
JOAT What we see depends mainly on what we look for. - Sir John Lubbock