dang fires II

We are now officially back home after having been under forced evacuation since October 22, due to a particularly nasty forest fire which was encouraged by high winds. Our home was spared but 105 buildings (out of 7 or 800 total) in our village were not. Green Valley Lake with a population of about 300 made the national news. Never a good way to gain notoriety.
Shortly before 8 am on that Monday, we noticed a smoky smell even with the winds blowing strongly. By 10 am, most of us full time residents were on our way down the mountain to stay with friends, family, or hotels. When one lives in the sticks, one has the evacuation plan memorized. Margaret invented what she calls the “Cs”: cats, computer, clothes (including the dirty clothes hamper), cars, and the chest of vital papers. These are all bundled into a car and a truck. Once safely in temporary quarters, we monitor progress of the fire and keep in touch with neighbors via www.rimoftheworld.net.
It was gratifying that few of our friends lost homes and there were offers of help for those who did. One particularly sad note was the loss of our town hardware/lumber store. We will work together to put the town back together starting with the annual Christmas Tree Lighting dinner and fund raiser. And the Old Farts Club will meet on Monday at 7 am at the Lake Inn to drink coffee, tell lies, and figure out who may need help.
mahalo, jo4hn
to Lew Hodgett - saw your posting and appreciate your concern
Add pictures here
✖
"jo4hn" wrote:

Glad to see you made it.

You are welcome.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
jo4hn wrote:

... snip

Glad to hear you are all OK. Sorry to hear about the damage to for those who did lose home.

✖
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Man, did I write that? Let's fix that:
Glad to hear you are all OK. Sorry to hear about the damage for those who did lose homes.
[Been a long day, lots o' home maintenance today, must be tired]

✖
Hi,
Have family living by Lake Gregory. Rimoftheworld.net was a great resource for tracking. My family made out OK, glad you did also. My sister's old home by Green Valley lake was destroyed though.

✖

Hope you come thru this season with no damage... It's been a rough year for you folks out there in shakin' and bakin' country...
As a side note, my friend runs that web site - www.rimoftheworld.net - At least I think that's his... Scott S. is the limited name I'll give here... And he didn't sleep during the fires due to personal family tradgedy as well as the stress of keeping the site updated...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[snip]>
That's the man. An absolutely invaluable service given the hit and miss coverage by the media.     j4
Add pictures here
✖