Damping vibrations

I am building a bench for my scroll saw and have done everything except mount the top. It's very solid but having read so much about vibration in scroll saws, I am wondering if it would help if I sandwiched either cork gasket material, foam weather striping or some other substance between the top and the frame before screwing it down? Do you guys (and gals) think this would be effective at all or am I wasting my time?

Reply to
Blue

Bags filled with sand is supposedly one of the best dampening methods. You can also just sit them on a shelf if the stand has one underneath? This also adds a lot of weight to the bench which is great also fo reducing the vibration.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System

- Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench

- Veritas Basic Grinding Set

- Book: Making Workbenches

- HNT Gordon Block/Shoulder Planes

DRE

Think of it this way. If you bolt the saw to a 50 ton block of granite the saw base ain't gonna move no how no way. If you put rubber/whatever between the saw base and the granite, the granite still ain't gonna move but the saw base will.

Fasten everything securely together and add sand bags to the base of the bench for additional mass & dampening. Enjoy.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

If you screw it down tight, it will have about no affect. You'd do better with a three or four point floating mount, similar to motor mounts on a car. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When it comes to vibration dampening, you have two (2) choices.

1) Mount the vibration source on very soft mounts that have a resonate frequency well below the resonant frequency of the vibration source. 2) Secure the vibration source on a very heavy base with large fasteners so that all vibrations are transferred to the heavy base. 1) above is not a viable option, IMHO.

Good luck.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett