Damned if I do \ don't? Domino thread -

Some time ago, I had a few hand powertools stolen out of the garage. One thing I never replaced was my PC plate joiner. For small to medium blanks, I figured I could get by with a router slot cutter if needed (proved to be a bit sloppy for me) - or nothing outside careful clamping.

Works well enough for those smaller projects, but I've never been too satisfied with my results - always some alignment issues - but nothing a #7 can't resolve. However, for my dining room table project, I'm tempted to get something to help with alignment.

Certainly I could glue one section up at a time - and am half tempted to go that route given the visibility of the project. I've also been investigating the Dowelmax - which looks to be a great thing. If it were even just $200, I'd pull the trigger. But it's $270 base - over $350 for the 1/4" guides. Given what I've read, it could be an "every project" type tool... Even at $350 - I'd go that route before getting another plate joiner.

Given the price though, it's 1/2 the cost of a Domino - another ungodly expensive tool. Mix in the price of an FMT (which has called to me for years) - I could get Dowelmax ($350) for now - and FMT ($600-700) when the chair project comes around after the table...

Struggling a bit with the options. I've learned to wait till the need dictates a purchase - and buy once. "Speed" isn't really a selling point to be honest with you - I don't mind being in the shop woodworking. Flexibility and strength in my joinery are the top criteria.

I'm my heart says DowelMax and FMT, but my head has been conditioned to lean towards the Domino for that combined dollar range. What's worse - I've seen a few postings that seem to indicate that the Domino makes everything else obsolete (FMT, Dowelmax, BeadLock, biscuits). Yet the cynic in me thinks this is similar to a new restraunt that opens up; the hottest thing for a while - and then is just another place to eat.

Eh, back to the research....

Reply to
jbd in Denver