Damn stupid

Page 1 of 2
I just took a kickback to the gut. I haven't had a kickback on the TS in a long time. Was cutting a piece of tempered hardboard, and the offcut flew back into me.
I was not using my gripper (idiot). My saw is aligned so it usually does not happen, but somehow it did ..
Stupidity.. no I don't stand off to the side, I've been too uncomfortable that way. And I was not wearing my leather apron... Haven't been since I started using for welding.
I am usually careful, but I took a shortcut holding the smallish piece by hand up against the fence... there was enough material contacting the fence, but the offcut caught me by surprise.
Not only is it purple, but it cut me good..
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear of your incident. I ordered (Lew's recommended) Bies. splitter earlier today. Would a splitter have made a difference in your circumstances?
On 12/7/2013 4:27 PM, Bill wrote:

No for some reason it caught the front teeth and when it kicked wound up spinning and catching the back then top..
it was only about 5-6 inches long... not going to need the splitter, but definetly needed the gripper.
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote:

----------------------------------------------- http://tinyurl.com/3uxteay
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Hey, I helped my wife order that for me for Christmas today! That and a basketball.
Bill

That's odd. How big of a piece?
Good to hear that you're OK. The real risk is getting the fingers in the sharp bits.

Since it was the offcut piece, how would alignment have mattered? I don't use the gripper for the table saw. Don't like it. I do use feather boards and push sticks rather liberally, though.

I stand off to the side, but I understand. It doesn't seem natural on a table saw, as it does (at least to me) on a SCMS or RAS.

The fingers are the worry. Small pieces are dangerous.

Ouch. As long as you're not seriously hurt, it's called "education".
On 12/7/2013 3:00 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Glad to hear that you are able to report the incident. It happens to all of us eventually.
On 12/7/2013 3:00 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you might not have been using a splitter?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"woodchucker" wrote in message
I just took a kickback to the gut. I haven't had a kickback on the TS in a long time. Was cutting a piece of tempered hardboard, and the offcut flew back into me.
I was not using my gripper (idiot). My saw is aligned so it usually does not happen, but somehow it did ..
Stupidity.. no I don't stand off to the side, I've been too uncomfortable that way. And I was not wearing my leather apron... Haven't been since I started using for welding.
I am usually careful, but I took a shortcut holding the smallish piece by hand up against the fence... there was enough material contacting the fence, but the offcut caught me by surprise.
Not only is it purple, but it cut me good..
--
Jeff

Condolences. As painful as it might be, take some solace in the fact that it might have been worse. Broken teeth, eye injury or something else.
Live and learn, you were fortunate, come away with new resolve to take the precautions you should.
I just went out and bought a few Under Armour Base 2.0 garments, basically Spandexy, snug, long sleeve thermal undershirts, to wear under my tee shirt when in my shop to stay warm without having a baggy long sleeve shirt thre atening to ruin my day (or life). Highly recommend - they're toasty and sk in-tight.
I'm only just starting in this hobby, so I've not experienced kickback on a TS yet. But I did have an episode with a circ-saw recently, scared the he ll out of me. When a TS kicks, you get flying wood. When you're cutting w ith a hand-held circ-saw, the damn SAW goes jumping around. I may just sta rt using my saber-saw to cross cut stuff after that thrill...
Anybody have good hints as to how to set up support, etc. for circ-saw cros scuts, especially mid-board, where you're trying to keep both sides of the cut intact?
"Jeff Mazur" wrote:
I just went out and bought a few Under Armour Base 2.0 garments, basically Spandexy, snug, long sleeve thermal undershirts, to wear under my tee shirt when in my shop to stay warm without having a baggy long sleeve shirt threatening to ruin my day (or life). Highly recommend - they're toasty and skin-tight. ----------------------------------------------------------- Might have to look into the above if these temps continue here in SoCal tonight.
50F is tough duty these days<G>. ----------------------------------------------------- I'm only just starting in this hobby, so I've not experienced kickback on a TS yet. But I did have an episode with a circ-saw recently, scared the hell out of me. When a TS kicks, you get flying wood. When you're cutting with a hand-held circ-saw, the damn SAW goes jumping around. I may just start using my saber-saw to cross cut stuff after that thrill...
Anybody have good hints as to how to set up support, etc. for circ-saw crosscuts, especially mid-board, where you're trying to keep both sides of the cut intact? ----------------------------------------------------------------- 1) Where possible, build a sled for your T/S and use it every time you can. 2) When T/S and sled is not possible, get a sheet of 2" Styrofoam and support it on a piece of 3/4" plywood resting on 2x4's and saw horses.
Keep the cuts in the Styrofoam to about 3/4" max.
Have fun.
Lew

I've used thinner foam on the floor when cutting things down. Since the foam is supported by the floor, it only needs to be 3/4" or so thick. I set the blade depth to 1/8" or so below the work piece and cut.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 12/8/2013 12:50 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Actually the foam only has to space the panels apart from each other. Typically I will pile my plywood on top of the 2x4 grid setting on top of my saw horses and place the 3/4' foam between the top and next down sheet.

Doesn't the (styro, I assume) foam create all sorts of staticy blobs that stick to everything in the room? I know the track saw is suppose to get it all but from the bottom, too?
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

It's not too bad. The sawdust and foam dust do go all over with a regular saw, but the foam dust isn't really all that staticy.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 08 Dec 2013 23:03:17 GMT, Puckdropper

Perhaps it depends on the type of foam. I always fight foam blobs whenever I break up foam packing material. Static is a problem with may plastics. Ever cut Plexiglas with a power saw? :-(

I use the foam insulation board that has the film on both sides. But a little of the foam gets out but not much, probably more saw dust than foam.

No static, sticking it to everything in the room? Whenever I touch styrofoam packing, it's all over the place, sticking to anything that's non-metallic.
On Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:24:32 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Agree on the sled. I have a 4' and 8' version of the saw guides pictured here. They work well. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497