damaged laquer on table..from rubber cement?

While putting together invitations on my mothers Breuner's table (deep cherry, solid wood, laquer finish) we seemed to have damaged the shiny laquer as it now appears to be spider web fractured-like and can be peeled off in certain sections. We put down 2 cotton table cloths and did not spill any standard rubber cement however this damage is only seen on the side to which the gluing took place. The finish is smooth but on the damaged parts, it is course and can be chipped away if you scratch with your finger nail. My mothers boyfriend will surely kill me as the table cost $4000 and we are trying to find a way to fix it. When you wet the table with water and towel the damaged spots go away, but when it dries you can notice them again. Any advice? THANK YOU for whoever has any ideas... CMT909

Reply to
cmt909

It would appear as if the fumes/gases that were given off from the rubber cement affected the laquer finish. Knowing a little about automotive laquers, I would say that the table has to be stripped and refinished, at least if a good durable finish is needed. The laquer can be sofened by using laquer thinner sprayed onto the surface, but I am not sure this will "melt" the laquer into a good looking and durable surface.

Good luck

Reply to
RJ