Dados with negative and positive tooth angle

I have a Freud 508 stacked Dado. It had a high recommendation and did do a good job on some dados I did WITH the grain. I tried to use it on some oak cross grain and had some pretty bad tearout. The response I got was to use a dado with positive tooth angle. Well, I have a Sears wobble dado with positive tooth angle that is about 25 years old, but I was told that these had the problem of creating a very uneven bottom cut on the dado. Thought I would try it anyhow. Lo and behold, the bottom looked VERY good. After looking at the design, it appears that the teeth angle to the outside on each side that wobbles out. It SHOULD make a pretty square bottom and DOES. Also the vibration does not seem to be any worse than the stacked dado.

Anyway, I would like the group's experience with and recommendations of dados that do a good job on cross grain. Also would be interested in comments on my experiences with my wobble dado. Am I observing a fluke in my wobble or are there others out there that have had similar experiences?

Reply to
Eric Anderson

My Sears wobbler is about 32 years old. Cuts a clean flat-bottomed dado (or close enough to flat that I can't see the difference). I'm a happy camper.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That's not a dado, that's a groove.

Freud should change the name from dado to groover, if they expect you to only use it with the grain.

I have a Freud stack dado that works great, can't remember the model number. Are you sure something else isn't wrong?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I just found, sometime in the last 6 months, that a dado with the grain is a groove. Thanks for reminding me. That makes my problem even more of a concern. The stacked dado is a 208M. I tried to remember it from memory, and you can see the result. It is an 8" selling at Home Depot for about $80 as I recall (probably can take that with a grain of salt also). It got very good reviews in one of the magazines.

Freud c>

Reply to
Eric Anderson