Dadoo question

Page 2 of 2
"Veritas Dado Shims" , I like Lee Valley's plastic dado shims

The threads on my saw's arbor "catch" shims from time to time (I have a few mangled shims as a result) and I was wondering if anyone had a "fix" other than wrapping a bit of scotch tape around the arbor before adding the dado blades and shims.

Take a look at this jig that Infinity offers at their site. Watch the video too. It's a little pricy, but a neat jig. It's a no brainer doing dado's. http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PDJ%2D100

Bore out the shim? It's the thickness that matters, not the fit to the arbor.
scott

If you just need to cut a few dadoes, the standard table saw blade will work just fine, it's just a bit tedious to set, cut, reset, cut, etc. If you have a lot of dadoes to cut, get a good dado stack as described in the other emails.
Ted wrote:

I do them both ways, depending on details and mood.
If the ends will be covered, 99% of the time, I'll use a table saw and my Dado King set. If the ends will show, I'll use a router.
I have an 8" dado, but a 6" will work fine and save a few bucks. I use a shopmade sled, story stick, and the fence to make identical parts. The blades get set to a measurement of the actual shelf stock + a few thou. I've never used my dado set for a depth that a 6" wouldn't have handled.
Using a router, use a smaller bit than the groove, say, a 1/2" bit to cut a 3/4" slot and Leon's auto adjusting jig. That's the simplest way to perfect fitting routed dados I've ever tried. Depending on your router, you can probably do it in two passes.