Dadoing 18mm Baltic Birch Ply

Page 1 of 2

I want to dado shelves in a cabinet from baltic birch but finding an 18mm router bit is difficult. Would a19mm bit do or is that too sloppy? A 3/4 seems way too loose. What are the alternatives?
I was just shaping some lamp bases with my table saw and I found it to be pretty accurate. Maybe this would work for you.
Alan Smithee wrote:

Yes. It is only 0.05 less than a 3/4 bit.

Cut with a 1/2" bit twice (not the full 1/2" on pass #2).
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Eric Tonks wrote:

Thx. Both very good suggestions. I think I may test out the rabbit idea.

Lee Michaels wrote:

No. They're heavily sedated first.
What sedates a power tool?

nospambob wrote:

A blackout.
dave
Lived in California a few years ago?

nospambob wrote:

Dave

Only when being chased by the bench dogs.
When you need an odd size, use a shimmed dado on your TS instead of a router bit. I have about 7 sizes of ply bits and I STILL run across material that doesn't correspond with any of those sizes. Besides, I can run dados faster through the TS than by a router bit.
Dave
Alan Smithee wrote:

David wrote:

I just hate using the table saw for everything but ripping. I prefer to keep my material stationary and move the tools over it rather than move the material over the tool. Doesn't always work out that way. The sides on this cabinet are also particularily large so in this case it also makes sense for my preferred workflow. I agree the table saw is usually a faster set up compared to the router. Thx.

I like to use a tablesaw when I can, too, but it's tough when you are cutting a dado 10 inches from the end of a 6 foot 1X12 for instance.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
If you are freehanding with a router, you can make a u-shaped jig that is the width of your router base +18mm. Then you use any smaller bit that is at least 1/2 the width of the final slot (so 9mm min) and do two passes, one against each side of the jig.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Ahh. Ding. A light just went on in my head. Thx.
Use a jig like I designed. You can see the basic pictures of it at Morris Dovey's web site. It will let you use any size board to cut a dado for.
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dado.html

Leon wrote:

Sweet!