Dado width

Page 2 of 2
Robert Haar wrote:

Make that two bags.
Since wood should be in compression (vs. tension) as often as possible, I think this is an excellent technique and wish I'd heard of it before.
It depends upon the respective sheets of plywood and the length of the dado/cut. With rough (CDX) stuff more tolerance is required. Similarly, as the length of the dado/cut is increased - e,g, slot is longer - more tolerance may be required. Conversly with a xmall slot, A/C or better sanded ten-ply furniture-grade plywood, less tolerance (perhaps your 1/32") will do nicely.
The suggested 1/8" inch is best combined with a technique of cutting down the inserted piece where it fits into the dado groove and cutting the dado less than the thickness of the piece to be inserted. In this way, you achieve the looser tolerances and still hide the joint seam.

I've posted pictures of the T+G joint that I described in another reply.
The photos are on ABPW.
Regards,
Tom
Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Someone reminded me that not everyone can get ABPW, so I've put them up on the website.
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/onlinestorage/joint%20photos/Joint%20Close%20Up.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/onlinestorage/joint%20photos/Full%20Joint%20Line%20From%20Top.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/onlinestorage/joint%20photos/Middle%20Of%20Joint%20Line%20From%20Above.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/onlinestorage/joint%20photos/Middle%20Of%20Joint%20Line%20From%20Below.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/onlinestorage/joint%20photos/Shows%20Straightness%20Of%20Side.jpg
Regards,
Tom
Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

I have certainly had to build things with less than optimum materials. I have even used this technique before. I called it a rabbetted dado joint. (Is that even a joint name?)