Dado width

If you look at the joint in the photos, is it more likely to delaminate under load on the shelf with the tongue at the bottom, or with the tongue at the top?

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

At the top, of course.

My point is that making the tenon less than half the thickness of the shelf also makes it more likely to delaminate than if the tenon is at least half the thickness.

Nice work, BTW.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Tom,

The photos that you posted in a.b.p.w illustrate this very well. You have added a technique to my bag of tricks. I can see how this can be used to advantage.

I would have thought that the tongue would be thicker - 1/2 to 2/3 the width of the shelving.

That makes sense. Thanks for the rationale behind that part of the technique.

Reply to
Robert Haar

Thanks for the links to the images!

When I do it, i cut the top and bottom of the "shelf" edges about an eight or so to make the tongue. But your approach seems to leave as nice a line as mine with less work!

Thanks, again for the links to the images.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Make that two bags.

Since wood should be in compression (vs. tension) as often as possible, I think this is an excellent technique and wish I'd heard of it before.

Reply to
B A R R Y