Dado stack for 16" RAS

I typically see 8" dados used for 10" table saws. I guess you can use

6-inchers too. For a 16" RAS would you go to 14" or could I drop down to say 10 or 12 inches? A 14" stack looks to cost about $500 new.

Better start checking the auctions...

JP

***************** Buying used.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Reason you normally only find 8" for 5/8" arbor is that a wide stack is a lot of material to move. Particularly on a RAS, the force to counteract that in the normal climb-cutting mode can be formidable. I'd recommend staying w/ the smallest diameter that will provide sufficient clearance below the head to provide the depth of cut required. I also recommend extreme care w/ large dado set on a RAS of that size although I use a RAS extensively as a cutoff machine and in the past have had one as the only saw in the shop.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

How deep of a dado do you need to cut? There are probably very few occasions when a small dado set would not be adequate, and a small diameter will put less stress on your motor (though that is probably not a concern on a 16" RAS). I think your main trouble will be finding a good used set with a large enough arbor hole.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Unless there is a reason to go with larger stacks, I think I would stay with a 8in dado set, as I sure an NOT cutting dado's requiring the blade to be any larger.

John

Reply to
john

I'm thinking half-lap joints in 12 inch beams for timberframing....

JP

***************** A whole new world.

Reply to
Jay Pique

Your arbor size will determine your minimum size.

ex: 12" dado set has a 1" arbor size. ex: 10" dado set has a 1" arbor size.

A very good set from Freud for the 10" is "about" $130.

Jay Pique wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

For a 16" RAS, the motor casing clearance is a major consideration of what clearance a small diameter blade is going to have...

Any blade can be rebored to a larger arbor diameter pretty inexpensively, so that really isn't a major consideration.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth