Dado Recommendation

Page 2 of 2

Forrest will do custom arbor sizes for their dado sets. Their sets are very good.
http://forrestman.stores.yahoo.net/fordad.html
Amanatool will also do 30 mm bores
http://www.amanatool.com/blades/reboringservices.html
Bob
Matthias,
I'm a hobbyist. I have the cheaper Freud set (about $100 street price), and I don't understand how another brand could be better. But I don't run nearly the number of feet of dados in a year that some of the others here do. Maybe after another year or two I could see some deterioration, but right now it cuts flat bottoms, I've had it a couple of years and am delighted.
I don't see how a Forrest (as someone else recommended) could be much better than the Freud, but I've never used one. However, I do have a Forrest WW2 on my table say. It performs so much better than any other blade I've used, maybe I am missing something on the dado set.
Regards, Roy

That's been my experience with the Freud products. Not saying Forrest isn't better, but it's hard to say *how* it is better, unless it's just bragging rights...

"Prometheus" wrote in message

Fairly common with table saw blades is the fact that the less expensive sets, even within the same brand name, will not be able to go through as many sharpening cycles as their more expensive brethren and still maintain a superior cut.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Ahh, I see. I guess it's just one of those things where I'm inclined to think the Freuds are good enough, despite the assertion I've seen that Forrest is a better brand. I've been running a Diablo for about three years, and it still hasn't needed a sharpening- so even if it can't be resharpened at all (unlikely at best, but you never know) I'm not going to lose any sleep over $40 every three or four years.
And the other side of the more/less expensive argument is that one of my Freuds (not the Diablo, of course) costs more than the low end Forrest anyhow. Ditto for the suggested retail price on the laminate blade I got from Delta. The question has to arise as to which is better then, as the "you get what you pay for" argument seems to be the one that most commonly gets used when it comes to blades and bits.
Of course, I'm not running production, either- at most that blade gets run is about 15 hours a week. I might change my tune if my home shop's blades are ever called on to run 40+ hours a week. But until they do, it'll be a moot point. I can't see worrying about a blade that leaves glassy-smooth cuts on hardwood because it doesn't have a reputation of being the absolute best. :)
Now back to the OP- you said you can't buy a dado stack because of security (safety?) issues. So will you be able to get the thing sharpened, or is it a one-shot sort of thing? It may well be worth your while to go for the best set (which is the Forrest, by general concensus) to limit furtively searching for someone to tune the blades up if the saw sharpeners are not allowed to work on them. AFAIK, Forrest does the sharpening and re-truing on their own sets via mail.
On the other hand, Europe isn't that big- and Freud is based in Italy. Can't you buy a dado stack factory direct and bring it home in your luggage? Or don't they sell them there, either?

A great blade can be limited by the equipment it is mounted on. If your equipment is not built or set up to the same tolerances as the blade you may never see the blades full potential. Additionally, will the $100 Forrest hold up as long as the Forrest?

I have a 10" dado set for my 12" 5hp table saw, I also needed a 1"-5/8" adapter. I got mine from Ridge Carbide (www.ridgecarbidetool.com) it came with the adaptor. I don't use it commercially but see no reason you couldn't. They could make you a set with a custom arbor size I just did not need it for my usage. I would deal with them again.
Just a satisfied customer
Andrew
As 30mm is far larger than 5/8, an adapter would not be possible. While any of the manufacturer would probably custom bore a set to your specifications, Forrest is most likely to do it reasonabley.