Dado cut in beveled stock - how to?

Folks -

The Wif and I want to make some small boxes as Christmas (not holiday) gifts... I have a bunch of redwood 2x6 that would be very nice... What I want to do is rip the boards at an angle on edge so that the inside faces will be beveled slightly... Think of a 30 /60 degree triangle for the "end view".

Ok, now, I'll need to cut either a rabbet or dado in the thicker section for a box bottom, and a dado in the thinner top section for the box top. How do I do this and have the cut be square to the outside face? If I cut those dados on the beveled side of the board, the cheeks of the dados will be canted when the box is assembled.

I had thought about offsetting the boards after I rip them, and using the "other board" to keep the inside face at 90 deg when I cut the dado, but thought I'd post this for remarks.

In ASCII, here's an end view of what hope to do, and convey. The I couldn't draw the bevel very well, but that's what the slash represents.. ___________________________________________ | _ | | | | | | / | __ | | | / | | | |/

TIA,

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

Folks -

The illustration looks like it got garbled... But in OE, I can see that the dado shown in the thicker section does make sense... Any ideas?

John Moorhead

Can you cut the dado in before cutting the bevel? This would work if you're scrapping the opposite side of the bevel cut.. the dashed line (that I added) being flat to the saw surface.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Gary -

If I was scrapping the "offcut" yes, it could be discarded. However, if I can make the cut somehow, safely, then I will be able to get two pcs per board... That's the rub..

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

The next option then is to make a sled to carry the cut piece in the orientation needed. The sled would need to have reinforcement at each end to keep the sled together (length wise on either side of the dado).

W/O pictures it's kind of hard to explain.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

If you have a router table you could cut a beveled fixture that you could clamp to the table that has the opposing angle. The opposing angle would face the table fence so the beveled stock sits in it squarely. Then just a down force featherboard to maintain the proper depth. You could accomplish this on the table saw but I think the router is a safer approach.

Knot

Reply to
Knothead

Not sure why my post didn't show last time. Just tilt the dado blade and cut.

-j

Actually, fairly easy...if you have or have access to a radial arm saw. do the bevel rip on your lumber in whatever manner you wish, then proceed to the RAS with the dado blade already set-up. Obviously, you'll need to be careful with your anti-kick back pawls and blade shroud as the blade guard doesn't align to a beveled surface very well.

I know that there are many out there that may want to throw out all RASs out there, this is one of the real reasons that they are still worth having.

Luck

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

and if you know anyone with a *shudder* Shopsmith, they can route it from the top, as a RAS would, but with much more control and (IMO) safety.. no problem with the bevel, as the table can be tilted to match/offset if needed..

Reply to
mac davis
[...]

Make the dado with a plane: Span the wood on your workbench with the bevel up, mount a guide (any straight beam) above and use that to keep the dado plane straight. Easy to do and a good excuse to get (build/buy) a dado plane. The ones on

a few hours each to build.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel