dado blade storage

Page 2 of 2

You have a point however the OP is looking for ideas of how to build a storage container. While Freud does indeed provide a nice storage container IMHO it would not protect the blades during shipping "with out" the spacers. Freud's method of storage requires the spacers. The Forrest method uses a bolt and nut to securely hold every thing in place during shipping and during normal storage. If the Op chooses to loosely stack the blades in a custom fitted depression in the storage container similar to the Freud storage container I would also suggest using the protective spacers. Because I did mention looking at the Forrest Dado King Storage container for an idea, the use of spacers would not be necessary with most any brand dado set.
Leon wrote:

Forrest puts the chippers on one side of the case and the blades on the other.

Yeah, that is more for balance than for protection. The case tips more easily with all blades on the same side. DAMHIKT ;~)
Leon is making a good point. they are made to lay against each other. You can go to great lengths to protect them or just store them carefully so the cutting edges don't hit each other.
Mike M
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:25:41 -0600, "Leon"

Set.
These folks carry a case for blades:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID G01&FamilyIDB33
Keith nuttle wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

If not the same item, that's very close to the one that Forrest ships their dadoes in.
But if one had scrap plywood about and a carriage bolt then one can make one that is as good for pretty much nothing. Just stack ply to the thickness you need, cut out a circle larger than the blade diameter, glue the stack to a backer, saw the whole thing to whatever shape you want, put a carriage bolt through the backer, bolt the blades onto it, and optionally put a cover piece on.

--John
J. Clarke wrote:

"Keith nuttle" wrote:

Define "Unique" as it applies to this project.
Lew
Keith nuttle wrote:

For a couple of ideas see:
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/saw-blade-selector /
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/2930
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/saw-blade-selector/

That is what I was looking for, I am retired with a lot of time on my hands. That is what I meant by unique.
"Keith nuttle" wrote:

How about an octagonal box with a lift of cover held in position on the base with over center suit case latches?
Could always add a clown face clock image on the cover if you want to disguise things a little bit and create a whole new scroll saw inlay project.<grin>
How much time you got, I'm just getting started?<grin>
Lew
Nova wrote:

Depends upon whether you have time or money. The Woodcraft storage system referenced earlier, at $30 is cheap when you take time into account. OTOH, if you have lots of time and some scrap pieces, then it makes more sense to make something like those referenced above.
(At various times in my life, I've been in both situations [not simultaneously])

Keith nuttle wrote:

Adding to Johns comment, take a 1/2" Plywood and cut it 1-2" bigger than your dado set, say 10"x10" Trace a circle in the middle the size of your blades, tracing around the gullets of the blade so the saws will snuggle in nicely. Next lay 3 chippers spread evenly over the 10x10 and trace the chippers, some (most) of the tracing will overlap the circle. Use a jig saw to cut out all the tracings so when finished the blades and chippers will fit snuggly in there respective cut outs. Next, cut out a 10x10 hunk of 1/4 Plywood for a backer and glue the two pieces together.
Now lay in 3 chippers in the chipper slots, the middle chipper should be the thin chipper, then put in one blade, then two chippers in the outside chipper slots on top of the blade then the other blade on top of those 2 chippers. This will keep the chippers from touching each other,
Cut another 10x10 1/4" ply for the lid, put a dowel pin in one corner of the cover so it can rotate off the face and figure a way to lock it in place, another pin perhaps.
--
Jack

This one's unique. Mind the word-wrap. http://cid-dbdf80d72cc4b008.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/workshop?lc=1033 Tom
This one's unique. Mind the word-wrap. http://cid-dbdf80d72cc4b008.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/workshop?lc 33 Tom ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Classy!!
Keith nuttle wrote:

You might be making a hard problem out of an easy one. I've posted a try at a plan (of sorts) on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar