Dad is selling old tool chest with tools

Page 2 of 2

On Sun, 7 May 2006 21:57:08 -0400, "wayne mak"

Yeah, it can be very surprising sometimes. The thing we think is valuable turns out not so and the thing we thought was junk is the item of value. I do know that unless the chisels are rare they can be purchased at Flea Markets in Maine for $6-$12. Those auger type drill bits I've seen for $2-$3. What is surprising is how much old stuff is around if you look in the right places My guess is that it has a value of $400-$500 if broken up -*unless* there is a very rare piece or two. I am not an expert by any means but I do shop for old tools. Forget Ebay as a guide - I've seen bidding wars for an item not worth half of what it goes for. But, there is the point I think. Selling everything separately might bring more $$. However, it is work. I built some garage doors (c1940) for a friend of my Mom and she gave me 6 boxes of assorted depression glass. I sold it on Ebay and what a job! Early on a guy offered me a set price for everything and oh how I wished I had taken it.
My dad has had these for years but they weren't his primary wood workig tools, my dad uses power tools for most of his stuff. If I asked him for then he wouldn't even wink, they would be mine. I enjoy metal working and these don't fit my needs to well so dad should be the one to get the money.
I thank everyone for there input and the offers that have been made, I talk to dad and see what he says.

Joe wrote:

The routers do not look like they are Stanley or Stanley clones which suggests that there may be some rare items in the collection. The brace is a very old design, pre-ratcheting.
OTOH the absence of any saws or moulding planes, or space for them in the box makes me think this was only _part_ of a patternmaker's tool set. Probably he had another box for saws, planes and big tools.
Were it not for the auger bits I'd think it maybe was a carver's tool set. I don't recall seeing any mallets either.
--

FF