Cypress...Green with envy?

I recently completed some exterior shelves, made from cypress. The parts are ready for assembly, but I'm having trouble with the finish. I purchased a gallon of Benjamin Moore's Moorwood® Solid Color Exterior Stain C080 in the color "Rainforest Foliage" - kind of adirondack green with an edge. After applying the first coat, the stain is still very chalky - the pigment rubs off easily onto your hands. Is this typical after a full 24 hours in warm weather?
Has anyone here ever tried to dye cypress a dark green?
Danke, JP
"Wear protective eyewear."
Add pictures here
âś–
someone said:

I've been experimenting with 'coloring' cypress. Seems the wood is very oily and resists holding the coating. Best success I've had so far is putting a coat of white latex exterior primer and then sanding a bit to bring out the grain while the coloring remains on the softer parts of the wood. Were you using an oil base or latex base?
TomL
Add pictures here
âś–
Try a aniline dye, water or alcohol based.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com