Cypress from HD?

The other day I was picking over the maple pile at the Borg (but I've found all SORTS of interesting grain just piled in with the rest from time to time)

Anyway, this HD wasn't carrying maple *mutters* but they DID have some

1/4" thick slices of a pale, straight-grained wood labeled "Cypress."

Has anyone worked with it, what's it good for, how does it look finished, whatever?

To me it looked and felt like hobby shop basswood, but it was a smidgeon paler.

Reply to
Charles Krug

I built a bench from cypress. Nice to work with, harder than pine, softer than oak or maple. Smells like popcorn when cutting. It has a noticeable grain that requires careful planing and sanding or it will come up in "layers". Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust