Cylinder sizing?

Page 2 of 2
Jay Pique wrote:

quarters. Turn to 6" and separate along the paper.
OR
Fasten 4 pieces together with screws at each end, outside the area to be turned. Trim the unturned ends off. (Note: I have never tried this but it should work.)
Jess.S

Make a split turning --- Glue up 4 pieces of 3"x3" stock (or slightly over sized). Glue paper between the joints. This will act as a separator. Turn a 6" cylinder and split the four quadrants along the paper seams with a tap of a chisel. It's done frequently.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Now THAT's what I'm talking about. Thanks to you two for bringing it to my attention. I'm not a turner, but I have heard of it. I'll definitely relay the message to our lathe guy. I'm a little surprised he hasn't thought of it. He does turnings for us from home. Is there another use for this trick that I would have used myself, but not involving a lathe? For some reason I vaguely remember knocking apart some pieces that had been glued up in this manner.
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Just called him. He said "oh I know that" and seemed to think it wouldn't work. The typical way we make large turning blanks is to glue four pieces of thick stock into long square tubing using 45d miters. So it's hollow in the middle. I don't know, he was pretty dismissive. In any event, if I want to hop on the lathe at work (after I dig it out from under two tons of crap), is this the process by which I should do it.....
I need (4) three foot lengths of quarter round with a 3" radius. So I take (4) 3 foot lengths of 3.125"x3.125" stock and glue them together with a piece of grocery bag in between. Then I screw on a faceplate, being sure that it's centered on the intersection of all four pieces. Then I mount it on the lathe, and align the interesection at the other end with the tailstock center. Then I turn it round to 6". Once done, I simply take it off the lathe and split it apart - I'm assuming with a chisel pounded into the glue joints?
Sounds very nifty. Have I missed anything? JP
[...]

I think the *first* step in your process should be to crosspost this thread to rec.crafts.woodturning . You're likely to get more ideas from the folks over there, and probably better ones than you're going to read in my post...

OK so far, AFAIK...

.. but I don't think I'd do that...

.. owing largely to the difficulty of being sure that it's centered. If it's not centered *exactly*, you're not going to have quarter-round when you separate the pieces.
My first thought is to grip it in a four-jaw self-centering chuck. If you don't have one that opens wide enough, use stock an inch or so longer than needed, and mill a stub tenon on one end, small enough to grip in whatever chuck you do have.
Or you could use a steb center in the headstock. (Yes, that's spelled correctly.) Probably work better than a spur center.

Sounds ok to me... but I've only *read* about doing this. Never actually did it. Ask over at r.c.w .
--
Regards,
Jay Not a face plate, use centers, but otherwise, okay. Tell your lathe guy there is no reason for it "not" to work unless he cannot get the centers in the right place. The intersection is hard to miss though. This is one of those cases where "we have always done it that way" because it works :-)

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

Should I be concerned about the points on the centers acting as a wedge to split the blank prematurely? Stebcenters, as someone said, would probably prevent this. Not sure we have them though.
JP

Nope -- not if you drill a little recess right at the center for the point to slip into. It's *much* more important to avoid lining up the spurs on a spur center with the joints in your glue-up. :-)

Cup centers would work too.
--
Regards,
Glue solid blocks to the ends and put our centers in that.