Cylinder sizing?

Glue solid blocks to the ends and put our centers in that.

Reply to
CW

Jay,

If I do the math, I get 2.99936..." for the radius. Kind of hard to explain without using figures. If you're seriously interested, I can make an attempt, as it takes time to write a text-only explanation.

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Forget trying to explain your math, what is it your trying to figure out?

Reply to
CW

I was figuring out Jay's question, given in the original post: take a

6-1/8" diameter cylinder (or circle) and saw it into quarters, where the saw kerf is 1/8". What is the size of each quarter, measured across either of the flat faces?

At least, that is my understanding of what was asked in the original post. As a math question, the answer is 2.99936...". As a woodworking/carpentry question, 3" will suffice. Who here can position a piece to better than 0.001" on their table saw?

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

You gave that number as a radius rather than a side length. That didn't make sense.

There was a puzzlemaker on here some time ago that claimed .0002 accuracy. After considerable time expaining why he was full of it, he finaly gave up and left. He still claims this in other places and on his website though.

Reply to
CW

Sorry about the confusion.

It's "almost" a radius, and would appear to anybody to be a radius for all intents and purposes. But it's **not** a radius because it doesn't originate from the center-of-curvature of the rounded face (the center of the original, uncut cylinder).

The original post even used the word "radius", but in quotes since it's not **really** a radius. I just figured people who had read that, and have been following this thread, would know what I meant.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Steve Strickland.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, that's what I was trying to convey. Sorry for the confusion. I'm now going to turn, or have turned a segmented blank that will yield true quarters with 3" radii, thus eliminating the need for mental gymnastics. Thanks all for the input.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique