Cyclone Trash Can Separator

I purchased a Grizzly G1029Z2 2 HP dust collector a couple of months ago and it came with a "free" Woodstock Cyclone trash can separator lid. I thought the cyclone lid would be nice and would help keep heavy, hard objects away from the impeller.

The dust collector is proving to be a very good machine. I haven't had a chance to install a permanent duct system, but dragging the hose is working well, and it lets very little debris escape from my G0453 planer or my 6" Powermatic jointer. It does well with the cabinet saw but a fair amount of dust still comes out the top.

BUT - I LOVE the freebee trash can separator. I noticed, when I put the dust collector together, that attaching the bottom bag was a little fiddly. Getting the bag in place while slipping the band in place was going to take practice. So far I haven't had any practice. I just dumped the 8th or 9th trash can of debris, and the collector bag is still only about 20% full. It's cyclone action is evidenced by the sharp peak of debris that builds directly beneath the inlet port, and the swirling material you can see if you crack the lid with the collector is slowing down. Granted, I have been planing quite a bit so a good deal of the debris is heavy. But I can tell that that cyclone lid is going to be a great labor-saver.

I highly recommend this accessory.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I got the original G1029Z and love it. Whisper quiet!

Yeah, a secondary blade guard vac stops most of that. I'll build one someday...

Yeah, they really keep you from having to swap bags so often and they keep the noises away from the impeller, don't they?

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually I thought it was kind of noisy right after I set it up. But a couple of weeks ago I walked into the local Home Depot and heard a jet engine sound. I went back to the lumber and sheet goods area and they had a similar sized JET collector hooked up to their panel saw. Someone had managed to walk off and leave it running.

Your are right. The Griz is pretty quiet.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I got tired of emptying my shop vac of dust and chips so I got an Oneida cyclone on sale at Woodcraft and put it between the tool(s) and the shop vac. It made a huge difference, almost everything ends up in the cyclone rather than in the shop vac. It was a little picky on the hose used, it needs plenty of air flow to keep the debris moving, but once I hooked up the right hose I was delighted with how well it worked. So I too am a convert to cyclonic dust/debris separation whatever is attached to the end of the system.

Reply to
DGDevin

I use a Delta collector with a cyclone lid to a metal garbage can. It gets almost ALL the dust and chips. The only time I empty the collector bag is when I get too lazy to empty the garbage can! I most highly recommend a cyclone!

Rich.....

Reply to
rich