Cyclone-style Dust Collectors.

Page 1 of 5
The pleated-paper canister filter on my 2HP DC is just overwhelmed. Better than the old bag. A bag is good for 1 hour.... I really need to do something. I figure that if I were to upgrade to a double canister 3-4 HP set-up, all it would do would buy a little time between dumping.
So, I'm told that a cyclone is the way to go. What do we know about those things?
Robatoy wrote:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm
Just about anything you want to know is there.
--John
: Robatoy wrote: :> The pleated-paper canister filter on my 2HP DC is just overwhelmed. :> Better than the old bag. A bag is good for 1 hour.... I really need :> to :> do something. :> I figure that if I were to upgrade to a double canister 3-4 HP :> set-up, :> all it would do would buy a little time between dumping.:> :> So, I'm told that a cyclone is the way to go. What do we know about :> those things? : http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm
: Just about anything you want to know is there.
Some of it is useful and accurate, some of it is neither.
One should also consult reviews on cyclones from FWW, Popular Woodworking, and other major magazines. And the engineers at Oneida give free advice and very useful help in designing and planning a system.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

Care to point out the inaccuracies?

--John
: Care to point out the inaccuracies?
It's filled with hyperbole, it claims no commercial DC company is worth their salt (he has a particular dislike of Oneida), he claims he's spent a hundred thousand dollars on putting up his website and requests donations, he recommends homebuilt systems that are over powered, and he exaggerates the efficacy of the system he advocates and the dangers of small amounts of dust.
It may just be me, but the site has a cultish, conpiracy theory feel.
However, it does contain some useful information. I just think a person should look elsewhere as well.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

I don't see any specifics there, your assertions are very vague.

--John

I share his vague disquiet. The entire site is very dust-phobic, bordering on obsessive and paranoid. It's difficult to say more without quantifying air quality in your own shop. I think about buying a good airborn particulate counter from time to time. OTOH, the only purpose that would serve is to verify whether or not I need to punch a hole through the masonry to vent to the outside, with the attendant problems. Subjectively, the small'ish DC and air cleaner work adequately most of the time, with the ROS being the sole exception. A hole in the wall likely won't help the ROS.
MikeWhy wrote:

A Shop Vac, drywall bag, and $20 auto switch can do wonders for a ROS.
If you're really paranoid, you can add a Cleanstream HEPA filter to catch what escapes the drywall bag.

<nods> Yup. I use it so seldom, mostly on plywood only, and then only rarely. I haven't bothered getting the 1" adapter to fit on the sander. Hand sanding with 220 suffices, but that has a different dust problem. Solid wood gets planed or scraped. (So, it's fair to say I stopped using it for lack of a $2 vac adapter. I hate the whine of that shop vac, too.)

I find myself working more and more in the carport, using the "Baja Breeze" handle the dust.. Moving the table saw, router table and belt/disk sander outside made a huge difference in how often I have to dust the stuff in the shop..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

The "Connecticut Breeze" is a tad less accommodating this time of year.
B A R R Y wrote:

That's what we are hearing. How many inches of global warming have you got so far? Or has it missed you and only hit the midwest?

Mark & Juanita wrote:

~ 14 last weekend!
I live about 30 minutes from the shore, @ 100 ft/MSL, so that's a huge storm.
B A R R Y wrote:

14" last Friday, 23.5" on Sunday.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Mere flurries, for you! <G>
Nova wrote:

Saw a dusting of frost on the lawn (green) this morning. I don't envy you all in the least.

Me either... The ideal white Christmas for us the sand on the beach.. The older I get, the less I like being cold..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote:

You want an arguement, change the subject.
High today in SoCal is around 60F.
IT SUCKS.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The temperature here today (at 4:30 PM) is 59 degrees. We had heavy rain this AM. Along with the melting snow things are a little wet.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Lew Hodgett wrote:

way up to 34 now. We started with about 3.5 feet of powder. Then over Christmas, it rained, sleeted, and ended up with freezing temps. Our street is a sheet of ice covered with a thin layer of snow. If you can get up here through the hordes of snow play people and skiers/snowboarders, bring some 60dF weather.     grump,     jo4hn