CYA Highland Woodworking

Don't wish to be nit-picky, but it's the "Bureau of Printing & Engraving", I believe, which prints money. I've seen them do it! They print the bills in big sheets and then cut em up! The tourist is left thinking, "Could I maybe take one home as a souvenir?"

Reply to
Bill

I agree to some extent however if the government did not print more money/put more in circulation the economy would not grow. For example if there were only one trillion US dollars to work with the economy would get worse as the population grows. Read that as fewer dollars available per person. And when those that do not spend every dollar they make there are fewer dollars in circulation.

One of the problems is printing more money to pay government dept before taxes are collected for that purpose.

Basically there are several reasons that the government prints more money to increase circulation. Paying off debt is not a good one.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, a sheet of Woodrow Wilson bills, please! ($100,000 apiece!)

a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Backed in Gold too! Not sure whether the G'ment had fixed the price of Gold when those bills were circulated (1929). I remember when it was fixed at $20/oz, or so.

Reply to
Bill

Actually, what the Bureau prints is not money, it's promissory notes issued by the Federal Reserve System. (The Bureau also prints documents (but not money) for the U.S. government.) The Federal Reserve System includes 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks. Those regional banks are owned, NOT by the federal government, but by privately owned national banks and some state banks that meet certain requirements. About 38 percent of the nation?s more than 8,000 banks are members of the system, and thus own the Fed banks.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I disagree that commercial banks own the Federal Reserve Banks. As you said, the Federal Reserve Banks (which are not commmercial banks) carry out the business of the Federal Reserve. It is the Fed which sets reserve requirements, and other rules and requirements, that commercial banks must obey--and not the other way around. In particular, for instance, the Fed sets the Fed Funds Rate and chooses a path of monetary policy. Commercial banks follow suit--they definitely do not call the shots for the Federal Reserve Banks. That the Federal Reserve Banks may hold some assets of the Commercial Banks does NOT make them the "owners"--any more than an checking account at a commercial account makes you a part owner.

Reply to
Bill

Your disagreement does not change the facts.

You're confusing ownership with control The Federal Reserve Banks are controlled by a 12-member panel. The commercial banks/owners choose five members of the panel; the President chooses the other seven.

But the fact that the Federal Reserve Banks are owned by stockholders, and it is the commercial banks who own the stock, does make them the owners.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Like you say, I confuse Control with Ownership. To me, the latter typically implies the former--and that's what I thought you were suggesting. Since you are not, I'm not sure what sort of meaningful inference you want to make.

The commercial banks/owners choose five

I wouldn't say that. That the Fed has "policing power" makes it quite different than a corporation--it's interwined with government, as you've indicated above.

No. I would say that the The Federal Reserve is owned by the U.S. citizens, like the highways and the national debt are. The fact that some banks deposit money there does not change my point of view. YMMV.

Reply to
Bill

The fed is not owned by the citizens Bill.

Reply to
tiredofspam

In your last post, you wanted to say it was owned by the commercial banks.

It is hard to deny that the federal is ours, whether we approve of its actions or not. A little like the presidency. It is OUR office. The fed works, or is supposed to, in our national (i.e. collective) interest. No one is going to liquidate the Federal Reserve, so the notion of "ownership" is mute, IMO.

Reply to
Bill

Bill that was not my post about it being owned by commercial banks.. It was a reply to a thread.

As far as the Fed, it has clearly overstepped it's bounds.

And so has our government. After reading a book on this recently it was brought to light that the feds were prohibited from printing money or minting. Only the states were given that right.

All of this by the founding fathers to prevent what is happening today. Where politicians raid the coffers and print money to pay debt. The states were granted the right to MINT money of a known weight and quality... talking about precious metals... not paper.

The feds had no rights granted. And history shows why.

Reply to
tiredofspam

(a) What "policing power" does the Federal Reserve System have? (b) Yet the Fed IS a corporation.

Yes, you can certainly that. You're wrong, but don't let that stop you.

(a) What highways are owned by the U.S. Citizens? Where can I find the deed of title?

(b) The federal debt is not owned by the U.S. Citizens.

Apparently neither does the fact that the Fed has stockholders who own the corporation.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Then please explain the meaning of Article I Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution, which says: "The Congress shall have power . . . to coin Money, [and] regulate the Value thereof . . ."

BTW, I would point out that the paper bills in your wallet are not technically money. They are promissory notes representing a debt owed to their holders by the Federal Reserve banks.

Reply to
Just Wondering

COIN

They have no rights to print money (promissory notes eiter).

BTW read that carefuly. I believe that paper which has no value. And since gold was removed from backing the dollar, it really has no value... what does it mean..

Reply to
tiredofspam

The Fed is responsible for a great deal to do with the currency. They DO affect the money supply by:

  1. Changing reserve requirements for commercial banks.
  2. Setting the "discount rate" that commercial banks can borrow (currently very low).
  3. Open market operations (buying and selling various financial instruments from commercial banks).

My knowedge of this is 30 years old, but I found a link for anyone who is interested:

Bill