Cutting Tenons

I'm also a bit of a newbie, and a long time lurker to this group. This is my first post, so go easy ;)

I don't really have a suggestion to help, rather a question in general.

Everybody, including Nahm, seems to use their table saw for making tenons. I haven't done a lot of mortise & tenon joints, but when I have, I have always used my table mounted router, and have had great results. One setup does it all, and the shoulders always line up perfectly. Depending on the size of the tenon, I may have to sand off some router marks, but that's all.

Am I missing some advantage of using a table saw for making tenons rather than a table mounted router?

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

George M. Kazaka

I have read the entire thread. I was just surprised that I didn't see anyone suggest the OP try a router if wasn't happy with the results he was getting with his table saw.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

Well, then I'll thank you to not call that luxurious wood cutting machine a "cheapo." I, sir, have a genuine cheapo. :P

Everything else still stands though, except other posts in the thread have made me consider that making the shoulder cut first is potentially dangerous. I'll start cutting in from the end, and work up to the shoulder.

Reply to
Silvan

I don't recall him mentioning that he had a router table, but if he does you are right, it is another possibility. As it is he is using the tablesaw and should be able to make them easily but hasn't had good results at this point. Something is wrong with the setup as near as I can see. All that have replied so far have given good examples of things to look for. I think I'd suggest just backing away from it for a few days and then come back fresh, check all settings on the saw and fence and try it again. Sometimes no matter how much effort you keep trying to put into something it always backfires because you're not going at it with a fresh mind.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I had one with my Stanley. I detailed that somewhere or other just today, I think. It was pretty ugly. So much for hand tools not being dangerous. :)

Reply to
Silvan

See Larry C's post, thats what I did.

-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

Reply to
Micro*

See, now that's why you need to stop being a lurker and participate! It takes all kinds of opinions and maybe using a router could be a solution to his problem. Just because he was trying to use a ts with difficulty doesn't mean he HAS to use it. Perhaps his ts isn't his best tool for this job.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Pretty cool isn't it! I'm amazed at how much help is available here. From all different levels of experience too so you get a variety of responses.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Reply to
nospambob