Cutting slot in table edge?

I need to cut a slot into an existing table top to apply a hardwood edge, either with a spline or tongue/groove the hardwood. The tabletop is 1 1/2" thick, so the slot could be 1/4 inch or bigger. I plan to use a slot cutter with handheld router for this - but is this safe? How to I prevent tipping the router base? Apply an aux base with a longer side over the tabletop? Any advice will make me feel safer...
Pieter
http://www.patwarner.com/offset_subbase.html
... or make your own.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/16/04
Pieter Ruiter wrote:

You didn't say how wide the edge is but could you use biscuits instead of a spline? If it's not very wide then maybe you could just glue it on with no mechanical fastener.
Otherwie..
If you're using one of these:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt _slot.html
then it should be reasonably safe and easy to cut the slot. You could get one of those offset router bases if you want:
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid778 &giftlse&mscssid014B7F238684BD28CF0EA8545A2046
But it's not really necessary. It won't tip if you're careful. It would be nice to be able to cut that 1/4" in two passes. Maybe get two bits, 1/8" and 1/4".
Matt
You're right on track, a wider base adds a nice level of insurance against tipping and gives you a better grip to boot.
See you knew the answer already!
Jim