Cutting slot in table edge?

I need to cut a slot into an existing table top to apply a hardwood edge, either with a spline or tongue/groove the hardwood. The tabletop is 1 1/2" thick, so the slot could be 1/4 inch or bigger. I plan to use a slot cutter with handheld router for this - but is this safe? How to I prevent tipping the router base? Apply an aux base with a longer side over the tabletop? Any advice will make me feel safer...

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Ruiter

or make your own.

Reply to
Swingman

Are you sure you need to do this? Perhaps you could just glue and clamp the edge on.

Mitch Berkson

Pieter Ruiter wrote:

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

Pieter Ruiter wrote in news:X7aQb.20885$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

You didn't say how wide the edge is but could you use biscuits instead of a spline? If it's not very wide then maybe you could just glue it on with no mechanical fastener.

Otherwie..

If you're using one of these:

it should be reasonably safe and easy to cut the slot. You could get one of those offset router bases if you want:

it's not really necessary. It won't tip if you're careful. It would be nice to be able to cut that 1/4" in two passes. Maybe get two bits, 1/8" and 1/4".

Matt

Reply to
MattH

You're right on track, a wider base adds a nice level of insurance against tipping and gives you a better grip to boot.

See you knew the answer already!

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz