Cutting Skirting Boards

Hi Group,

I'm just about to install a floating floor in a new house. One of the problems I have is the need to leave an expansion gap between the boards and the skirts which is normally concelled by a beading strip.

The carper layer advised me that there is a tool that can cut the bottom off skirting boards allowing the floating floor to be set underneath with the expansion gap hidden.

Does anyone know what these are called, and a product/brand name?

thanks Roscoe

Reply to
Roscoe

Imagine it'd look a lot like a biscuit cutter.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Ba r r y

See the link I've posted in another message.

Personally, I prefer removing the trim, installing the floor with a gap, and replacing the trim. I usually undercut door jambs with a hand saw and scrap of flooring.

Modern homes have such small baseboards to start with, they don't need to get any shorter. Nails can be reused if care is used pulling the baseboards. Fill the holes with an appropriately colored filler crayon.

On my personal home, I usually install new, nicer, hardwood baseboard, shoe, and cap moldings when installing a hardwood floor.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Sounds like he is referring to a power jam saw, available at most rental shops. kind of an abortion router/saw affair. Seems like a pretty drastic measure. I guess I am missing something though. Normal practice is to remove the baseboard trim before installing the floor and then undercut the jams with a handsaw and a scrap of the flooring material for a guide as Barry suggested. I would have to think installing the flooring and trying to slide it into a recess cut into the trim would rapidly become a nightmare. Is there something preventing you from removing the baseboard?

The knotmeister

Reply to
Knothead

jamb saw

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

You forgot to add the shoe molding, necessary in cases where the baseboards are only ~1/4", after installing the flooring.

Reply to
George

Interesting tool... sort of a combination of a skillsaw and a router..

Reply to
mac davis

Yep,

removing the skirts and handcutting the jambs etc with a handsaw makes sense, however the whole lot is freshly painted and I'm not keen on repainting the 100m of boards/walls again (I hate painting).

Notwithstanding the skirts are fairly low, the jamb saw looks good.

Roscoe

Reply to
Roscoe

If you do go with the jamb saw, you'll still need to clean up the corners. Also, you'd better check the floor and the base moulding for level. If you have a dip in the floor, you'll see it in the cut on the base moulding. Good luck! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Had a chat to the floor layers (installers?).

Their advise was don't do it unless you are sure the floor is dead level. I know mine isn't as I could see water puddle when it rained not long after the slab was poured. a 1-2mm gap between the skirts and floor boards can look just as bad as beading.

Maybe in the next house, which wil be 20 years out.

Roscoe

Reply to
Roscoe