cutting questions

I'm about to build a big wraparound u shaped desk/hutch unit for my home office. I was making some test cuts out in the garage/shop, just to get back into the swing of things. I don't have a table saw, so I was cutting some miters (bevels) with a circular saw and a jig saw both with a straight edge. I know it's not what a jig saw is for, but I figured just for kicks.......
Then I held test fitted the two miters from the jig saw and the two miters from the circular saw to form 90's and I was really surprised the jig saw had cleaner cuts and the miters fit really well together, the circular saw left a rough cut (even though it had a new plywood blade on it) and the miters fit kinda sloppy. Is there something wrong with my circular saw? I was expecting better from it, or is that typical and just a testament to the accuracy of the jigsaw. Btw, both are professional tools. Jigsaw is a bosch 1281vs is the model # i think. Circular saw is a porter cable. think it's like a 324 mag. Just around a month old.

Most likely it is all to do with the blade you use. My jig saw puts both of my circle saws to shame as far as smoothness goes however my circle saw cuts straighter in general. Typically a circle saw takes a big bite when compared to the jig saw and it is consider a rough cutting tool. You can get good results with better blades.
I've gotten near-perfect cuts on expensive cherry ply using a circ saw, straight edge, and sharp carbide plywood blade. I'd say it was technique. Make sure the "A" (best) side is down.
-jbb

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 01:11:35 GMT, "Matthew and Erika Nicholson"

Well, it could be the blade but it could also be the saw. I don't know what others here have experienced with the PC circular saw but my experience is not good. I bought a new PC circular saw a few years ago and never was happy with it. I don't know if it was bad bearings or a bad shaft but I never could get smooth cuts with it. The worn out 20 year old Rockwell with a broken handle was still a better cutting saw.
Mike O.
I wish I'd have known that before the purchase, I was under the impression that pc made pretty good quality stuff, I have several other pc tools that are pretty good quality, maybe they're just lacking in the circular saw dept. I did try the milwaukee too, and though it seems to be a bit more heavy duty, the fit just wasn't there. Felt a little awkward in my hands.

Guess I got lucky, then. I bought a PC circular saw, and with a 40 tooth Freud blade on it, it makes me wonder why I bothered with a tablesaw sometimes.
Clint

If you don't mind sharing the model # on that blade , I'll try that since I allready have the saw. I had/have a 60 tooth oldham blade on it right now. But the freud is probably I higher end blade, so I might try that and see if I get better results.

The model number is D0740. Here's a link to a quick 'n dirty review: http://www.workbenchmag.com/main/newprod-diablo.html
Here's the link on the Freud website, although mine is gold colored, not red: http://www.freud-tools.com/freuddiabfin.html
And finally, here's the link on Amazon: (Amazon.com product link shortened)20617684/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-8437362-9144055?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846
Don't ask me why I posted all these links... I think I have too much time on my hands. :)
Clint