Cutting perfect 5 1/2" circles

Page 2 of 3

How about making a template and using a bearing guide? I've done it a lot..works great
i82much wrote:

I have used a router on a table to cut circles. However be very careful on how you feed it into the bit. I was not thinking once and never did find the top piece of the bit. At least it did not hit anything valuable.

How about making a template and using a bearing guide? I've done it a lot..works great
The template idea had occurred to me but I would still be left with the problem of how to make a perfect template.
Dick.. A] Nothing is perfect, even when I do it.. ;-]
B] I had to cut several 6" circles a few years back.. about 3/4" larger than my fly-cutter would go.. I ended up fastening a piece of pegboard, about 6" x 12" to my router, using the existing holes in the base plate and using one of the holes in the peg board for the pivot point.. worked great for me but might not fit your application..
I've seen folks use the Dremel routing jig for that too, but I don't think you want to try that with 3/4" stock.. lol
Another old trick is to cut them oversize on the band saw and make a simple jig on a disk sander to both round and size them.. Sort of a V-block with stops..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I made the adjustable trammel described in Hynton's _Router Magic_ and the latest edition of the book you have. It is a tear-drop shaped replacement for your router base, which has a t-groove to accept a stick containing the trammel point. It would have no problem with your task. You would need to tack or double-stick tape your workpiece to a waste backer board, but it should work well.

You can always buy a 5 1/2 inch hole saw...
You just need the "correct jig"
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID 3735&FamilyID582
Dick Snyder wrote:

Huh. It figures that you could buy a jig for this!

you can also make a crosscut sled for a table saw (a useful item anyway). Then, drill a hole through the center of your stock, and screw it into the sled 5.5 inshed from the blade. Take the corners off first, and then crefully rotate the stock. I've seen it done in a video, but I forget where. You can either make the rest of the wheels that way, or you can use the wheel as a template for a flush trim router bit (use double-stick tape) You can also make a blank out of masonite shelly

I have a cross cut sled already but didn't want to make holes in it so I essentially made a second one based on this idea as reported earlier by Larry W

This cross cut sled has a number of holes in it so you can make different diameter circles. That is what I ended up using to do the wheels. Lots of passes but they came out fine.
REAL MEN Do it on a router table.
Cut four square blanks 5-5/8 on TS Drill pivot holes in centers of each Scribe Circle 5-5/8 circumference on each face Cut / remove waste Jigsaw / Sander Mount Pivot Pin in Miter Bar Mount Mitre Bar w/pin in Router table (You must be able to "lock" the bar in place) Mount best router bit Mount first blank and, with mitre bar loose, rotate piece to find a good starting place for cut Repeat with each blank until you find place the works for largest dimension on any blank. Fix pivot point/mitre bar at that location Cut all four blanks Adjust pivot point Cut all four blanks Adjust pivot point Cut all four blanks Replace router bit with small sanding drum Adjust pivot point Sand all four blanks
If you want bottoms of wheels rounded, switch from straight bit to cove bit after initial sizing and mount each finished "wheel" in drill press and finish sand them there.
Affix a piece of scrap wood to the router table

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:12:27 -0800 (PST), Hoosierpopi

Real men probably don't feel the need to brag about where they do it. <g>
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:31:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

...I'm with you, man...buy the hole saw, get perfect circles, save mucho time.
cg
"Charlie Groh" wrote:

Price out a 5-1/2" hole saw and then a fly cutter.
Might make a different suggestion.
Lew

Or a Woodpecker. We were living in the house we were finishing, and we hadn't sided the gable ends, one of which was the extension of our bedroom wall. I was awakened to the sound of a mini jackhammer on the outside of the house. By the time I threw on some clothes and wandered outside, the little guy was finishing up his own access hole into the attic.
I climbed over the scaffolding and saw a perfect circle cut into the sheathing. And I mean perfect, I got a tape and measured it... remarkably accurate.
So, I tacked up some sheet metal over the hole to keep him out. Next morning, about 6am.... BAM!-BAM!-BAM!-BAM!-BAM!-BAM!-BAM!
--

-MIKE-

Now, if you can only get him in your tool drawer . . .
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:15:08 -0800 (PST), Hoosierpopi

I wouldn't want a woodpecker in my drawers. I'm just sayin'...
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

--

-MIKE-

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:04:28 +0000, MIKE- wrote

I'm wondering if there's a market for a little trammel/harness with micrometer adjustment so this can be exploited properly. An on/off switch incorporating a rectal electrode would be essential, and maybe with frequency modulation we could persuade the little fellah to work on variable speeds. Different beak profiles.. hmmm....
After use he could plugged into a charger unit full of chocolate-coated ants or pizza or whatever, ready for the next day.
I don't see any problems with any of that. None at all...

+/- how many 0.001"?

Go into the attic and hang a mirror across the "doorway."