Cutting Panels Large For A Small Table Saw

Hi,

I need to cut some 20" x 17" plywood panels on a small table saw whose fence only goes to 12". In the past I rough cut them then trimmed with a router. That was messy - I don't have a sawdust vacuum system. Can someone point me to a homemade jig I can add to the saw that will allow me to cut panels of that size?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Abby Brown

=A0Can someone point me to a homemade jig I can add

Maybe rough cut to one inch oversized using a skill saw. Then trim one inch using table saw. Be careful to include width of blade.

Or

Build a table out of a large piece of ply covered with hardboard to make it slick. Maybe use saw horses. Bolt table saw under it square to the front edge. Raise spinning blade to bring it through the top. Clamp a 2x4 across table as fence, squared to front at 20" from blade.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I don't know of any "jig" to drastically expand the cutting capacity of a tabletop saw. Most folks just clamp a straight edge to the plywood and cut with a circular saw. In fact a lot of guys who have big table saws will do this and use the table saw to trim to size. Make sure you have a new, sharp plywood blade on the saw.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Classic way is to clamp a straight-edged board on the bottom of your panel such that it rides agains the edge of the saw table and guides the cut.

Reply to
Larry W

Another technique is to use your circular saw. Throw some rigid foam insulation on the floor and put the plywood on top of that, set the circular depth of cut to cut the thickness of the plywood plus 1/8 inch. If you have enough floor space it probably the safest way to cut.

Reply to
fallen.morgan (at) gmail.com

I don't know of any "jig" to drastically expand the cutting capacity of a tabletop saw. Most folks just clamp a straight edge to the plywood and cut with a circular saw. In fact a lot of guys who have big table saws will do this and use the table saw to trim to size. Make sure you have a new, sharp plywood blade on the saw.

**********************************************8

I make a jig to use my circular saw, that works great.

I used a piece of 1/4" hardboard (like pegboard without the holes) and make three jigs. One 8' long for full sheets, one 32" and one 64". I make them all a little over a foot wide. Rip some plywood a couple inches wide, and really straight, and glue and nail it to the hardboard with the edge of the plywood a little further from the edge of the hardboard that what your circular saw measures from blade to the edge of the bottom shoe. As a bonus, you can make this jig work with your router by making the other side of the plywood a little further from the opposite edge of the hardboard than what your router measures from the side of the base to your favorite straight bit.

Put your saw on the hardboard and run it down the length with the plate guiding on the plywood. It will make a perfect cut on the extra hardboard, which you can later line up with a line you want to cut on the panel, door, or other piece you want to cut straight, and clamp it to the workpiece. Hold the guard up and follow the jig for perfect saw cuts, or on the opposite side with a perfect router trimmed edge.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Under the table near the edge I screwed a 2ft x 3ft peice of plywood. Drilled & conterbored holes through the top of my 10inch cheap benchtop.& clamp on fence.

Jerry

Jerry OHIO

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 00:06:15 -0500, "Morgans"

What you've done is almost an exact replica of the various tracksaws on the market. Who says you can't save money if you put your mind to it.?

Dave

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 00:06:15 -0500, "Morgans"

What you've done is almost an exact replica of the Festool and DeWalt track saws, including building difference lenghts of these jigs. Who says you can't save money if you put your mind to it.

Reply to
Dave

Forget the subject line and make several of these jigs:

have a 50" and a 96" for plywood.

Reply to
Pat Barber