Cutting notches

I have 1"x2" pine boards that are 15" long. In one end of each board, I have to cut out a 1/2" x 2 1/4" notch. I've already made the 1/2" cuts. How do I made the 2 1/4" cuts? (I only have a hack-saw and a hand-saw).
snipped-for-privacy@co.riverside.ca.us wrote:

lowest dollar solution? perhaps go get a coping saw.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Have you got a chisel? That would work. It sounds like you're trying to cut a dado - a U-shaped cut in the board, rather than an L-shape, on which you could just start cutting right in on the end. Lacking any other tools I'd say your best bet is to continue to cut 1/2" cuts between the original two, leaving a small bit of wood between each cut. Then you can take a butter knife or something and break off the little chunks.
JP ********************************************************************************** Yet another use for that 22" radial arm saw from Original Saw.... anyone got a price on one of those?!

You might start by giving more information. I could not figure out which direction your "notches" were to be cut from your description".
Bob
The 1/2" cuts are cross-cuts. The 2 1/4" cuts are rip-cuts which must stop at the cross-cuts.
snipped-for-privacy@co.riverside.ca.us wrote:

Make a few more crosscuts between the two ends, knock out the pieces with a hammer and clean up with a chisel. Cutting along the 2 1/4" line with a razor knife or chisel will insure a clean break when you knock off the pieces.

Mac