Cutting mirror/glass?

x-no-archive:yes

What is the best way to cut mirror and/or glass cleanly into a square?

Reply to
stryped

With a glass cutter.

Reply to
dadiOH

and use a square.

RicodJour

The same way that was discussed in a thread barely two or three weeks ago. DAGS, you'll find it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Have your local glass/mirror supplier do it for you. You aren't going to save much cutting it yourself, one broken piece and you're losing money.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

should do the job.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Most hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot & similar places will cut mirror/glass square and to size while you wait. They use professional equipment that aligns the glass cutter on rails. You can do it yourself with a glass cutter and square but you need experience to obtain accuracy and squareness. It will likely cost you time & materials before success.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

sections 3,4,5 of

I used a lighter fluid (heptane) & WD-40 combo for lube..

I used a level on "spongy fabric" as a straightedge after measuring offset of spinning wheel center to edge. The ~1" thickness of the level guided the 1-3/8" high flat edge of the cutter along perfectly perpendicular. I would recommend this orientation. Held it at 90 degrees and pulled toward me. The balled handle had a flat. Started 1/8" in from edge, and finished pulling through, which did leave a 1.5mm chip, which will be hidden.

Looked with magnifying glass and couldn't see the score line after one score (I thought of lifing 15 lbs. off ground)

Used a plywood sandwich on TS edge, and gloved hand in center of waste about

3" away (at end) and it snapped apart perfectly.
Reply to
bent

see "cutting mirror glass" 05/03/2006 10:27 pm

Reply to
bent

My local HD (what a sorry excuse for a business...) no longer cuts glass. The excuse I got was that they couldn't find adequately skilled help to operate the cutter. I think they're just trying to cut costs and not provide any service. Either way is an interesting comment on the state of the retail business in the US.

Cliff

Reply to
cdo

Maybe a comment on the state of HD, but I don't think it's quite indicative of the industry as a whole.

HD is a materials wholesaler geared towards a small consumer. You won't find plate glass it huge sheets - just glass that'll fit in Joe Homeowner's car. What's HD's incentive to cut the glass? It's really just a liability for them without much of an upside. If they don't cut it, the odds are pretty good they'll sell a glass cutter as well.

RicodJour

Any flat glass shop would cut it for you at a reasonable rate and you don't have to worry if they break it they replace it at their cost. I worked as a glass installer for a few years.

Reply to
Al

As would most hardware stores. HD has its place, but it's by no means one stop shopping unless you really don't care about your materials, or don't know any better.

RicodJour

HD doesn't cut glass here.

Reply to
gfretwell