Cutting MDF

What type of blade is recommended for cutting MDF? I have two choices: a RIP BLADE or a CROSS CUTTING BLADE. Suggestions? Thank you.
Brandt
Brandt in western Canada wrote:

I cut MDF with a 100-tooth 10" carbide-tipped blade on my table saw and get pretty decent results.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Never tried a rip, but my Freud 80T crosscut does a very good job.
Brandt in western Canada wrote:

Generally speaking with MDF the higher the tooth cound the better. That being the case, cross cut's a better bet than rip, but you'd do best with a blade purpose-made for sheet goods.

--
--John
Why not try out your 2 blades on a piece and choose for your self? I get pretty good results with a 40 tooth general purpose blade.
Mike G wrote:

I agree there. I vote for an old blade you plan on retiring after you stop using this horrid stuff. I have seen sparks coming off of MDF when I cut it. I can only think there are chunks of metal or concrete mixed in with the other crap they sweep off the floor to make this stuff. I hear people saying they like MDF for it's stability (assuming they compare it to CDX I guess). I prefer paying for a good grade of plywood that will take a little water spill without blowing up like a dead raccoon on the side of the road.

I've never had a problem with general purpose 40 tooth blades (Forrest, Jesada and Freud). The cuts are all super clean with well defined corners.
Just be sure to use a carbide blade, I used a steel blade once on my circular saw- halfway through the cut it gave up. I pulled the blade off and it was badly burned and no longer sharp. It was a cheap blade, but fairly new. I now use a GP carbide blade on the circular saw with no problems.