Cutting Joists

Does anyone know where I can go to find out about cutting and then supporting the cut floor joists to install a new staircase? I want to cut a new hole in floor either against an outer wall or almost center of house along the beams and need to know the min/max distances from walls or beam I can a joist at... any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance,
Steve
On 12 Oct 2004 10:38:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Stephen Suplee) wrote:
|Does anyone know where I can go to find out about cutting and then |supporting the cut floor joists to install a new staircase? I want to |cut a new hole in floor either against an outer wall or almost center |of house along the beams and need to know the min/max distances from |walls or beam I can a joist at... any help would be greatly |appreciated. thank you in advance,
Consult a structural engineer.
Wes Stewart responds:

Especially if you're going to do it in that order.
Charlie Self "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell
Charlie Self said:

LMAO!
Greg G.
There is no simple answer to this question. It depends on things like how far the joists span, and what they are supporting (e.g., do any structural walls come down on them). If there is a roof load coming down onto them then you need to look at snow loads if you are in a climate were it snows. If the stair will run parallel to the joists then you will probably only need to cut 1 or 2 joists, in which case it's unlikely (but not out of the question) that you will run into any problems if you just put a header in at either end and maybe double up the joists on either side (for the full length of the joists). On the other hand, if the stairs will run perpendicular to the joists then you will need to cut a lot more of them and things will get much more complicated.
So, you should probably find either an engineer, an architect who knows how to do these sorts of calculations, or a carpenter who has enough experience to tell you whether you need an engineer or an architect and if not what you should do.
- Bruce