Cutting high pressure laminate or melamine

Page 2 of 2

You are probably right. Does what you have seen have the same texture? Once applied, I looks just like the top and bottom of the Melamine boards. Trims with a razor blade or chisel. Also what I have seen is only in white although that may be the only color that the store stocks.
Leon wrote:

Well, it has the texture of PVC.

http://www.doellken-woodtape.com/products/pvc_edge.htm
UA100
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:06:23 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

I've heard that you can break it like glass. Score the top, set the scored area over a very sharp edge, and snap. If I were to try that, I'd put a piece of MDF over the top to hold the laminate down, rest another on top of the piece to snap, and push quickly and smoothly. Read below how I recently cut some--the more conservative way.

When I did the kitchen counters, I got an extra piece of laminate in the same pattern of the preformed sinktop I bought. The two small 2 x 2.5' counters on the stove side of the kitchen got new tops. I used the 18T Ryobi cordless circular saw on the laminate (upside down to cut) and cut 1/4" oversize. I glued the side strips on and used a router with a laminate trimmer bit to trim the top, glued the top on, let it dry, and trimmed that flush with the sides.
The coarse, 18-tooth 5-1/2" circ saw did a great job with very little chipout. I set the laminate good-side-down on scrap plywood, set the saw blade 1/16" deeper than the thickness of the laminate, and cut quickly and smoothly using a StrateCut(tm) aloonimuminum guide.
It was then that I learned how quickly a battery pack gets sucked dead by the saw. They last a whole lot longer on the drill motor.
Straightedge, router and 1/8 router bit. No chipping.

bond
second
I like the overlapping idea cutting it with a router(http://www.cabinetmaking.com/laminate.htm )... the edges may not be perfectly straight, but they will both be the exact same shape...

(Todd) wrote:

For that matter, you can trim it with a block plane and a scraper, too.