Cutting down strip nails-anyone try this?

I purchased a variety pack of 18 ga. stainless brads with 1", 1 1/4",

1 1/2", and 2" lengths. When I received it I then remembered that my nailer can only use up to 1 1/4". I am considering clamping the strips between 2 pieces of wood and using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and cutting them down to lengths that I can use. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for your input, Gene
Reply to
GeneT

Yes, I've done that, but freehand. I bought the wrong brads for my HF nailer and needed them that day, so I took the strip to the belt sandah and cut 1/8" off. It took about 5 minutes to do 3 strips of brads for the project. That's when I found out that the 5gal pig of air would do about 150 brads or staples before needing a refill (117psi down to 50psi.)

I still had 90% of the package left when I upgraded to a stapler/nailer which took longer brads.

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oops, forgot something. Go swap the nailer for the stapler/nailer. $20

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bought that, yesterday and it's a decent gun. I bought this one a couple months ago when it was on sale for 20 bucks.

I'm using it, right now, on some flooring, and already finished a large flooring project about a month ago. It's doing a fine job... no problems, so far.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I used tin snips one day this summer. I made 3/4" from 1".

Bob

Reply to
Barb/Bob Alexander