Cutting crown moulding to fit around outside bullnose corners?

I am trying to fit 5" crown molding (38 degree spring angle) around an outside bullnose. I've been trying to use a compound miter saw to cut at 22.5 degrees but have been doing something wrong because I end up with too small of an angle when I stick the three pieces together. Can somebody tell me what settings I need to have on my miter saw? I have the miter set at 22.5. Does the bevel setting also need to be at

22.5? How does one calculate this? Thanks! H.
Reply to
Hubert

SonomaProducts.com

Are you cutting the crown molding upside down in the miter saw? With this arrangement, you should not need to adjust the bevel. Try using scrap pieces until you get the correct angle. No need to use a calculator or charts (this is the harder way).

Reply to
Phisherman

You might also want to try splitting the corner like in this example

RayV

I pickedup this book a few years ago for about $18-$20 .. .. .. money well spent .. .. .. takes the "mystery out of doing all sorts of trim, including rouned outside corners.

No affiliation except as a satisfied customer .. .. ..

Hubert wrote:

Reply to
Anonymous

Um....which book would that be exactly?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

OOPS !! !! !!

this one .. .. ..

Anonymous

22.5 will be correct. Turn your crown upside down on the saw with the flat part on the back of the bottom edge (the part that would go against the wall) flat against the upright fence on your miter saw. No need to use the compound feature if your saw will cut through the molding sitting at that angle on the saw. You will need to hang past the radius just a little coming from each direction to make the pie piece work. The first one is the hardest but you'll get a feel for it.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.