Cutting Box Joints

I've been suckered into a project where I'm going to need to cut box joints and I'm looking for a jig. I've noted a number of them on the web but I'm looking for suggestions on what will give me the most bang for the buck. Ideas?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:56:23 -0500, Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I built this one and it works well:
http://www.netexperts.cc/~lambertm/Wood/lynnjig.html
-Doug
Ditto Lynn's jig. I built an oversize one and the design still works well. There are others that involve making a small sled with a pin but in my view, they are not very flexible in terms of varying the finger size. If this is the only piece you'll ever use box joints on, then it might make sense. Lynn's jig allows you to make whatever size fingers you want. Good luck, cc

I use a sled with a drop in pin board. Very easy to setup any size.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

In the pdf file at this site, he says don't worry about it being square to the table, that will buck out.
Can someone please explain what he means by "buck out"? Does this mean even if the jig is not perfectly square to the blade, the angles of the cuts will compensate when the joint is assembled and it will still be tight? And if so, I'm wondering if this is true only if you're stacking all the pieces to cut them at the same time?
Danke
If you have a dado head for the table saw this is a very easy jig to make. Depending on the size of stock you're going to be using you can also make a nice jig for the router. So a google search man theres plenty of variations for making a box joint jig out there.
Jim

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" writes:

Given you have a dado, then look at Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.
20 minutes and a couple of scraps of wood, you have a box joint jig.
Is that enough bang for the buck <G>?
--
Lew

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:56:23 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Don't buy one. They are very easy to make, either for a tablesaw dado blade or router table with a straight-cutting bit.
Lynn jig. Some scrap hardwood and a threaded steel rod...oh, and a few nuts and some Tnuts. Works like a charm.
TomL
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:56:23 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

I watched the video of this jig in use. Looks like it would be a pain to use. Very slow. The demonstrator (Mark of Mark's Woodshop) even says something like "it's kinda slow and tedious." Turning that knob several time for every cut isn't my cup of tea.
--

Best Regards, Phil

Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake Washington
Router my favorite. See the examples at http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html under box joint jigs. Simple to make, even simpler to adjust, and with a spiral bit, even plywood will work.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:31:40 -0500, "George"

George,     How is this used?
<http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=boxj--
Is there a part not shown in the photo?
Thanks, Barry
The "fence" is the key in your miter jig, the bit your blade. You butt the fence to make the first groove, then straddle for subsequent. For the opposite piece, you run a pusher board through against the fence, then use the distance established by the groove to reference the first cutout. I've had good success with middle school kids on this setup. Wouldn't let 'em near the tablesaw.
If you've not seen the router guys, and have a desire, I can e-mail you some demo pics I did a year or so ago for another guy, or perhaps put 'em up on my personal page.
Let me know.
in message wrote:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:47:44 -0500, "George"

OH! It's used with a miter gauge. <G> Now it all makes sense.
Thanks! Barry
Looks like a good concept, but what makes it worth $20? Why wouldn't one made out of scrap work just as well?
Try this. It's not free but I built one and it works great. http://plansnow.com/boxjoint.html
Mike

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Like others have said, make one. Plans abound. Try it. You'll like it. They're a little ugly to my eye, but *strong* and easy.
Plan to cut your pieces just a bit oversized and cut the fingers just a bit too long. That way you can plane off all the glue you missed wiping up at the same time you make the ends of the fingers smooth as a baby's butt.