Cutting Boards inspired By Wood Magazine.

I posted a couple of pictures on a.b.p.w. of cutting boards that I built in the last couple of days. The latest Wood magazine has the details.

Reply to
Leon

You work fast! I just finished reading that issue. What kind of wood did you use and did you encounter any problems?

Reply to
RayV

Cherry, Walnut, and Maple.

The only problem I ran into was with the results of gluing the 3 sections separately. Because you are using a lot of moisture in the glue to glue this all together the center tends to want to bulge out between the ends. This resulted in the sides not being flat and would not glue together. Placing a third clamp in the center did not resolve this problem. I ended up having to use a cross cut sled to make the mating glue surfaces straight again. No big deal. The solution would be to glue all the piece together at one time. The problem with that would be the pieces 20 pieces slipping and moving around as you apply pressure.

If I make another I will probably do the glue up all at one time and use a brad nailer to hold the pieces into position before clamping.

The flatter your end result, the less sanding you will have to do. I spent about 15 minutes on each side with 80 grit sand paper and a ROS.

My Fein Multimaster and its scraper blade worked great for quickly removing the beads of squeeze out glue along each row. before sanding.

Other than that, it was a simple and fun project.

Reply to
Leon

Do you think a jig similar to this one would help gluing it all at once?

the hardboard cleats with thicker material and using bar clamps and a caul to pull all of the pieces toward the corner.

Reply to
RayV

Yes, that would probably work well. Anything to prevent movement as you apply pressure.

Reply to
Leon

Nice drive-by! Congratulations ...

Reply to