Cutting Angles in Plywood Sheets

I am building a corner computer desk. Most of the work I can handle with my table saw, but the corner pieces are too big for me to handle on the saw. The shape is basically a 42" square of plywood with a corner cut off sothat there is a 2'-4" line at 45 degrees across the corner.

I can't handle the 42" dimension with my table saw fence and the 45 is a problem too.

Any suggestions for how to accurately cut the 42" square so that it is square and then cut off the 45 with accuracy?

Thanks, Dave Patnaude

Reply to
David Patnaude

A skil saw and a straight edge will do the trick. Buy a fine tooth carbide thin kerf blade for the skil saw. Skil saw is not a brand in this context, but the type of saw.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Clamp a straight-edge and use a circular saw.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you are using veneer plywood, put a piece of masking tape over the cut line first, this will reduce tearout. (Just be careful when you remove the tape.)

I have cut large pieces of plywood on my table saw by attaching a long 3/8 x

3/4" piece of oak to the plywood to the appropriate place with small nails on the underside. This strip can then ride in the miter slot on your saw with out hte need for a fence or miter gauge. just draw your cut line, measure the distance between the blade and the miter slot and attache the strip at this offset. It works quite well.
Reply to
Joe Wilding

Clamp a straight edge and use a circular saw -

But I would use my table saw for cutting the SQUARE accurately (precut a bit oversize with circular and then use the straight edge to do the corner cutoff

Reply to
John

Phisherman notes:

And remember to flip the piece so the good side is DOWN!

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

I have a solution which is much more fun:

even better:

me a crazy dreamer ...

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

You may also want to score along the cut line with a razor knife doing this extra step will eliminate tearout of fragile veneers.

Good luck with your project

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

YOU're a crazy dreamer!!

Robatoy

Well, I was ready to go out and buy your dream. But I'd have to move the Ferrari and Hummer out of the garage to make room for it.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Joe, I like your idea about attaching the miter slot runner to the wood for cutting it. I'll have to try it sometime.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

David Patnaude wrote in news:Xns95EF61662E7EFdmpjunk@130.133.1.4:

I think I'd modify the design so that the panels joined to a solid wood 'post' at the corner. Maybe with a rabbet.

You're likely going to want to reinforce that joint in any case.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch