Cutting Aluminum with Miter Saw????

I've been installing a lot of shower enclosures lately and getting sick of using a Hack Saw to cut Aluminum. I'm wanting to use one of my many Miter Saws. What blade would be best for cutting extruded aluminum without burning or discoloring it???

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
evodawg

I do that all day long. No fear.

Reply to
Robatoy

A blade designed for cutting non-ferrous metals. Which exact blade would depend on the thickness of the material. See:

Nova

Blades have been mentioned in this thread already so I won't go there.

However, my first real adult job was as a puller in an extrusion plant. A puller guides the extrusions (multiple from the die) on a carbon table until the billet is pressed out. Then before the next billet pushes out the previous extrusion, the puller has to cut the ends off relatively evenly with a portable circular saw. We were issued a "wax stick" (a waxy substance of which I am not sure of the composition) and before we cut the aluminum, we stuck the stick into the blade while it was running. The aluminum cut like butter.

Remembering that, later in life, I've used a toilet wax seal for the same purpose and it had the same effect.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

There ya go! Aluminium! The most versatile (and abundant) metal on the planet. I use that stuff for a lot of straight edges, jigs, saw horses, you name it. And most extrusions are sold by the pound. Good stuff.

Reply to
Robatoy

miter gauge in an unintended spot. This was totally unintentional of course. Slow and easy.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" "evodawg"

ROTFL ... I have a similar, but what I would rather think of as cleverly placed, "zero clearance upgrade" on the fence of my miter gauge fence.

Too bad that it's at an obscure angle that will never be used again.

Reply to
Swingman

Many years ago I cut a ton of Alum picture frames on a Makita miter saw, and used an ordinary crosscut blade, with carbide tips. I used a wax candle for lube, and fed the saw slowly. Worked like a charm. You might check with a local picture framer, as they use a saw for all Alum picture frames.

Reply to
rich

but then again, you "meant to do that", right?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Same here, with an Incra fence! 8^(

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks guys for advice

Reply to
evodawg

Uh err uh yeah! It was a part of the "plan". I forgot...... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Better to go with a tripple chip grind than an atb, wax the teeth so the chips don't pack and cram the gullets.

Plenty of good non ferrous metal blades on the market.

Reply to
beecrofter