Cutting a straight line on a scroll saw?

Page 2 of 2

wrote:>I have a Delta 16" scroll saw that I would like to use to cut some small

You can fake something but why? A scroll saw is not made for straight cuts and even if you mount an aux fence to your scroll saw table, the blade is going to do a bit of wandering whether you want it to or not.
--
I realize this.

The reason WHY is because it's a 60 year old piece of walnut that I nave
"Kate" wrote...

[...]
Kate: I would go about it like this: Install your widest scroll saw blade, and carefully place a 12 or 18" straight edge (i.e. combo square blade) along the scroll saw blade. Measure parallel from the straight edge and clamp your fence.
Now make a test cut with a piece of scrap that has a pencil line where you want your kerf to be. You will be checking for 2 adjustments: firstly, is the cut parallel to your pencil line, and secondly, is the size of the cut correct.
Get the fence parallel first, by moving one end torward or away from the blade. Once the saw kerf is parallel to your pencil line, I'd recommend scribing a line on the saw table - then you'll always have a reference line on the table next time you want to set up a fence.
Finally, adjust the fence - parallel to your scribed reference line - till your cut size is correct.
Keep testing on scrap until it is perfect.
HTH
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com