cutting a hole through the center of a 1" dowel?

When I want to cut an accurate hole in a short, small diameter dowel or rod, I put it in my drill press and hold the bit up against the center of the end while it spins. But when the diameter is greater than my drill press chuck, like if the dowel diameter is 1" or greater, is there some crafty way to cut an accurate hole through the center? The hole needs only to be about 1/2" to 3/4" deep.
Thank you.
John Doe wrote:

Example: If you're drilling a 1" diameter dowel. Clamp a piece if scrap wood to your drill press table. Chuck up a 1" forester bit and drill a locating hole for the dowel in the scrap. Without moving the clamped piece of scrap remove the forester bit an chuck the appropriate sized drill. Place the dowel in the locating hole. Drill the dowel.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

awesome, dude
When I do this I use a jig. V-block that is one half inch shorter then the dowel being cut, v-block is set up on frame that holds it square to the table of the drill press. Clamp dowel to v-block and drill hole in dowel. For short dowels I use a filler on the v-block. I normally clamp the v-block to my drill press table and drill any where from 50 to 100 dowels at a time, it works fine for large numbers of dowels (3/4" dowel with 3/8" hole). For one or two short length of dowel (2" or less) I just hold them with a pair of Channel lock pliers and go for it.

The classic way I've heard is to take a block of wood, bolt it or clamp it to the DP table, then use a forstner, spade it, or whatever you have available to drill a hole into the block the same diameter as the dowel. Now, WITHOUT CHANGING ANY DP ADJUSTMENTS, replace the forstner (or whatever) with the bit you will use to drill the dowel, put the dowel in the hole in the block, & drill.
--
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org

how do you know the hole is centered if you don't know if the dowel is straight and the bottom of the dowel is square to the side?
Andrew Williams wrote:

Use a thick enough piece of scrap to index off the diameter of the dowel.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Ok, I'll rephrase that. Please preface my first reply with, "First make sure that the dowell you are using is straight and the ends are cut squarely."
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

You can also find center of the dowel by drilling a hole in a board the diameter of the dowel with a spade or forestner bit, stop just as the point comes out the bottom. Place board over end of dowel and mark center through small hole, drill at the mark.
--
http://sawdustmaking.com

RE: The subject
A lathe.