Cut your hair boys and girls (cautionary tale)

This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.
This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I felt a sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died.
I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the router to stop happened (I haven't had a chance to tear it down yet). The shaft cannot be turned at the moment. Fortunately it was my ancient 1 horse Black and Decker and not the 3-1/2 horse Porter Cable which would probably not have stopped until it had done serious damage--as it was there was no real harm done other than embarrasment.
Manana I'm going to see about getting the hair cut back to mil-spec.
Not sure how I got my hair into it--I wear it tied back and tucked into my shirt when I'm working but it managed to escape somehow. Better to keep it short, as I've just learned the hard way.
--John

Yeow! Glad to hear you weren't seriously harmed. Maybe there's something to that military style cut after all, eh?
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Beware of hippies with power tools. LOL! Fortunately, the good Lord and Father Time have seen fit to remove the possibility of me getting my hair caught in anything. :-)
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Yeah, the only place my hair gets caught these days is the bathtub drain.
Oh well, I had it when I needed it. :-D
Bill
is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
I'm trimming my berad! Marc

Many years ago when I had hair, I mean, long hair, I did a similar thing. I was living at home and my dad had this ancient drill--solid metal casing that weighted a ton. It also had very large vents at the back. Things were going fine, next thing I know the drill is stuck to the side of my head. Of course there is no reverse on the drill, nor is there anyone else home. After a few minutes of trying to unwind my hair--did I mention that this drill weighted a ton--I gave up and just cut my hair. Of course, I then had to take the drill apart and get all of the hair out of it.
These days I shave my head; funny, haven't had a problem with power tools getting stuck to it.
david
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com

Nice to hear you're OK!
B A R R Y wrote:

Thanks, wish I could say the same for the router. When I get around to tearing it down I think I'm going to post photos.
--John
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:32:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"

At least routers are easy to replace!

Maybe you should cut it with a Flowbee (sp)... Google this for a truly hilarious tale. Tom

That's the second time today I saw that phrase in writing... the first time was in reference to the Signs song and the help wanted sign...
What are the changes of that? ;~)
I wonder if the freaky part comes from getting the hair caught in a power tool?
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Well, I managed to avoid freaking out however if I had had just a bit more presence of mind I'd have gotten a picture while I was still attached.
But historically it's related to the drugs that in my misspent youth men with long hair who were not world famous physicists or conductors were assumed to be ingesting.
--John

[snip happens]

Almost cut my hair;
It happened just the other day;
It's gettin' kinda long;
I coulda said it was in my way;
But I didn't and I wonder why;
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
. . .
-Don th' Aging Hippie (listening to CSN&Y)
--
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same
night.
J. Clarke wrote:

Glad to hear that the worst injury was a scare. When I was at Tech. School, doing my apprenticeship in the earl 70's, all blokes with long hair had to wear a hair net. Needles to say, this offended some fellows sense of man hood. So ignoring the rule, one bloke decided it would be OK to drill a quick hole with the drill press and no net. One hole was one to many as his hair got caught up in the chuck and he was promptly scalped. About a 3" diameter piece of scalp almost pulled completely of on the side of his head. It was promptly decided by all who needed to, that hair nets were not that sissy after all. :)
Once again, glad that pride was the only injury.
regards John
J. Clarke wrote:
| This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I | felt a sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died. | | I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse | than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the | router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the | router to stop happened (I haven't had a chance to tear it down | yet).
I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Must've been a sight to see a long-haired dude using a 1 HP router for a barrette. [ ;-) ]
Hmm - you do realize this might be the perfect excuse to go shopping for a trim router...
Not sure about the trim router. I think scissors or clippers might work better on his hair. Just don't get the cheap HF scissors, make sure you go with the Made in the USA scissors from Delta. <grin>
SteveP.