Cut your hair boys and girls (cautionary tale)

This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I felt a sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died.

I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the router to stop happened (I haven't had a chance to tear it down yet). The shaft cannot be turned at the moment. Fortunately it was my ancient

1 horse Black and Decker and not the 3-1/2 horse Porter Cable which would probably not have stopped until it had done serious damage--as it was there was no real harm done other than embarrasment.

Manana I'm going to see about getting the hair cut back to mil-spec.

Not sure how I got my hair into it--I wear it tied back and tucked into my shirt when I'm working but it managed to escape somehow. Better to keep it short, as I've just learned the hard way.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeow! Glad to hear you weren't seriously harmed. Maybe there's something to that military style cut after all, eh?

Mark & Juanita

I'm trimming my berad! Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Beware of hippies with power tools. LOL! Fortunately, the good Lord and Father Time have seen fit to remove the possibility of me getting my hair caught in anything. :-)

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Many years ago when I had hair, I mean, long hair, I did a similar thing. I was living at home and my dad had this ancient drill--solid metal casing that weighted a ton. It also had very large vents at the back. Things were going fine, next thing I know the drill is stuck to the side of my head. Of course there is no reverse on the drill, nor is there anyone else home. After a few minutes of trying to unwind my hair--did I mention that this drill weighted a ton--I gave up and just cut my hair. Of course, I then had to take the drill apart and get all of the hair out of it.

These days I shave my head; funny, haven't had a problem with power tools getting stuck to it.

david

Reply to
David Penner

Tue, Mar 20, 2007, 11:38pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: Not sure how I got my hair into it--I wear it tied back and tucked into my shirt when I'm working but it managed to escape somehow. Better to keep it short, as I've just learned the hard way.

OK, I'll withold comments. Me, my hair rght now is aout half way to needing anothr haircut - it's probably abot 1/4" long right ow. Every few weeks, when it gets long enough to bug me - somewhere between

1/2" ad 1" usually - I give myself a buzz cut with my trusty 'lectric clippers. I wind up looking like Uncle Fester for a week or or, but I wear a hat everywhere anyway.

JOAT Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with no heavy lifting.

Reply to
J T

My daughter braids her hair, then pins it up in a bun, when she's working at the lathe. Way to scary otherwise.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Nice to hear you're OK!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks, wish I could say the same for the router. When I get around to tearing it down I think I'm going to post photos.

Reply to
J. Clarke

At least routers are easy to replace!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Maybe you should cut it with a Flowbee (sp)... Google this for a truly hilarious tale. Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

That's the second time today I saw that phrase in writing... the first time was in reference to the Signs song and the help wanted sign...

What are the changes of that? ;~)

I wonder if the freaky part comes from getting the hair caught in a power tool?

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Well, I managed to avoid freaking out however if I had had just a bit more presence of mind I'd have gotten a picture while I was still attached.

But historically it's related to the drugs that in my misspent youth men with long hair who were not world famous physicists or conductors were assumed to be ingesting.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" opin'd thus:

[snip happens]

Almost cut my hair;

It happened just the other day;

It's gettin' kinda long;

I coulda said it was in my way;

But I didn't and I wonder why;

I feel like letting my freak flag fly

. . .

-Don th' Aging Hippie (listening to CSN&Y)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Glad to hear that the worst injury was a scare. When I was at Tech. School, doing my apprenticeship in the earl 70's, all blokes with long hair had to wear a hair net. Needles to say, this offended some fellows sense of man hood. So ignoring the rule, one bloke decided it would be OK to drill a quick hole with the drill press and no net. One hole was one to many as his hair got caught up in the chuck and he was promptly scalped. About a 3" diameter piece of scalp almost pulled completely of on the side of his head. It was promptly decided by all who needed to, that hair nets were not that sissy after all. :)

Once again, glad that pride was the only injury.

regards John

Reply to
John B

| This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I | felt a sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died. | | I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse | than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the | router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the | router to stop happened (I haven't had a chance to tear it down | yet).

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Must've been a sight to see a long-haired dude using a 1 HP router for a barrette. [ ;-) ]

Hmm - you do realize this might be the perfect excuse to go shopping for a trim router...

Morris Dovey

Yeah, the only place my hair gets caught these days is the bathtub drain.

Oh well, I had it when I needed it. :-D

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Not sure about the trim router. I think scissors or clippers might work better on his hair. Just don't get the cheap HF scissors, make sure you go with the Made in the USA scissors from Delta.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos