cut ups

Page 1 of 2
You might get a chuckle out of this. Tomorrow afternoon I'm having the Cub Scout Den in my shop, our activity is pocket knife safety. And then we will try to make some crafty stuff using our knives. I was trying out a few different things this afternoon, as preparation, when I slipped and half cut off the tip of my left index finger. Ben (9 y.o.) was in the shop, he got to learn a few new words, I sopped up the blood, eventually decided it could make do without stitches.
This evening, after dinner, I was putting some finishing touches on another carving item, when I slipped and made a new gash, about an inch below the first one. Ben was in the shop again, of course, if there were any words he didn't learn this afternoon, the evening edition taught him the rest of them. I can only plead blindness. I'm not usually clumsy in the shop, considering the bloodless pile of sawdust I swept up early today, I think I proved I can keep my fingers intact on my hand. But I lost my regular glasses the other day, I think the baby (she is 4, but still my baby) walked off with them. So I've been working with my reading glasses. Nothing is where my hands think it is, exactly, I misjudge distance often. I have a very old pair of glasses I could wear, but they are not much better.
Maybe tomorrow I'll keep my hands off tools. If any of the Cub Scouts ask why I have big band aids on my finger, I'll make up a story about it. Oh wait, that won't work, Ben knows the real story. He won't keep his mouth shut if he has a chance to make me look like a goober in front of his buddies.
-Dan
Add pictures here
✖
Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote in
<snip of an all too believable story of blood and horror...>
I have friends who give me crap about having maybe six or seven pairs of glasses, some for every occaision. There are too many times in life when having the wrong, or no, pair of glasses is, at very least, a threat to peace of mind, if not to life and limb.
I mean, have you ever tried to play golf wearing bifocals? ;-)
Patriarch, who doesn't need an excuse to slice a finger, or a Titleist...
Add pictures here
✖
You know Patriarch, I think it's a guy thing. I have been wearing my bifocals for years (except when golfing were I have a pair just for distance) and I have 5 pair scattered around the house /shop but most of my buddies go around pretending they don't need theirs. As we are all 60ish I know this is bull. They will admit that other important organs don't work as well as they use to but their eyes are just fine. I often feel like batting them on the side of the head for not using them to prevent a screw up. As a recent example, One of the guys came by the shop last week offering to help out on a project that I was running close to the deadline. I set him to work making drawers using a pile of white oak and maple I had spent a day of so resawing and planing. I gave him the plans and set him loose. An hour later he calls me over and asks what is wrong with the plan. I checked and their was nothing wrong with the plan. I point to the plan , at which point he puts his glasses on, and I show him that photo 7a says to dado a groove 1/4 " in from the end on 3 pieces while 7b says to rabbit a groove on the end of one piece. Oops! he says. I guess I should of put my glasses on. That removed any question as to whither or not the dresser would be ready for Christmas. Cheers, JG
Patriarch wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Tue, Dec 28, 2004, 5:56am snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (JGS) says:   You know Patriarch, I think it's a guy thing. I have been wearing my bifocals for years (except when golfing were I have a pair just for distance) and I have 5 pair scattered around the house /shop but most of my buddies go around pretending they don't need theirs. <snip>
In the mid-70s, I had problems with a recurrent corneal erosion. The eye doctors (two of 'em agreed) the solution was bifocals. Hadn't ever needed them before that. Didn't help the eye problem one little bit, but after I'd worn the bifocals for awhile, I needed them. Still need them, but for any detail stuff, or close up, they're useless, and I have to take the glasses off. Oh, the wonders of modern science.
JOAT Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big rock to bash in his skull. - Unknown
Add pictures here
✖
JOAT responds:

Well, my cataract surgery left me with better distance vision than ever before. In close, I can't see squat, so +1.25 reading glasses work. Except they don't. They need to be on and off so many times, I bought bifocal safety glasses. I am now going to do the same for regular wear, and just keep a pair of glasses on.
Problem? You can't take an old pair of frames into the optician and get +1.25 bottoms and clear tops. You have to go to an optometrist to get a friggin prescrip!
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Add pictures here
✖
Charlie Self wrote:

Amen bruddah. I hear your pain. My lenses are getting a little scratched up, and I need new ones. These glasses are FINE. But I can't go get new lenses without horking up a gob of cash to pay for an eye exam, 'cause my script is over two years old.
✖

Or judge fly balls in the outfield?
Add pictures here
✖

I gave up softball when I hurt myself too often fielding the ball. 15 years ago now, or more? It was another hobby at which I went more than a little overboard.
Maybe there's a trend here somewhere...
Patriarch
Add pictures here
✖

Bleah! LOML talked me into going "lineless" when I had to go to tri-focals while still driving truck. Learned REAL FAST that you have to be looking almost directly at what you want to see, no more looking out the sides. First time I tried backing into a dock where I had to stick my head out the window and bend it around the corner, I learned to take 'em off and throw 'em on the passenger seat until I was done backing in.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

I firmly believe that the lineless lenses were developed by someone' who either didn't -ever- turn his head, rely on any kind of peripheral vision whatsoever, and who had no other visual impairments. Any folks who live their lives that way will get along just fine in them.
I spent two weeks in HELL trying to adapt to them before forcing my optometrist to replace them with nice, 100%-of-the-lens-viewable bifocals. I have astigmatism in both eyes and there was no correction for that in any part of the lens but the very center 10%. Driving was hell, laying a tape measure was hell, hanging a picture was hell, ad nauseum. I'd like to castrate the guy (or something equivalent to the woman) who dreamed them up. I had a stiff neck for a week after I quit using the damned things.
Grrr! $485 pair of totally useless glasses MY ASS!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Add pictures here
✖
<snip>

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are middle-aged.
As if the other indicators weren't readily apparent...;-)
Patriarch
Add pictures here
✖
"Patriarch" wrote in message

Damn ... if I still could, I would.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Coulda, woulda, shoulda cause it's too damned late now.
Time may not have wings, but it does take wing and fly...away.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Add pictures here
✖

I liked turning 50. Sort of gave me certain rights as a mature citizen. Next year will be 60. I'm actually looking forward to it. Sure, physically I'm seeing limitations, but that is a little offset by the wisdom that comes with age. Perhaps my vanity works differently, but I kind of like it when the guys at work say "ask Ed, he'll know what to do". I just don't want to turn into some mean old bastard that people throw stones at. Ed
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

Yep, my kids (all of them) think Dad can either fix anything or tell them how to. Not at all uncommon for one of the SIL's to call & pick my brain, although they are all good mechanics in their own right.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
✖

How do you protect that perception when you screw something up? :)
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

Moi? Nah! I make sure they never see it, or blame it on them if they can't do what I told them and get it right.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
✖

I had bifocals when I was 6 years old.
Add pictures here
✖
calmly ranted:

Same here, primarily for the reading lens. My eyes tended to cross a bit when reading.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Add pictures here
✖

Larry:
It may simply be that those particular lenses weren't the right ones for you.
I have been wearing lineless bifocals for a few years now. When I had to replace my lenses this year, I asked my optometrist if there were cheaper alternatives, seeing as I don't have medical insurance coverage any more.
She set me up with a pair of rather cheaper lenses, and it was an almost unmitigated disaster. I couldn't read, I could drive okay but I had problems walking, especially going downstairs. It was awful.
She did tell me, though, that there was a tryout period on *all* bifocal lenses that they carried.
So, I went back, ponied up the extra bucks, and have been happy with the lenses ever since. SWMBO tells me that I don't look like somebody who wears bifocals when I'm reading; I just read.
And yes, I have astigmatisms in both eyes, one 30 degrees off vertical and one about 40 the other way, one astigmatism is radical (+2.25).
Cheers.
Dave O'Heare oheareATmagmaDOTca
Add pictures here
✖