Cut off your finger? Sue

Hmmmm, in the article it says, he's a lawyer! So maybe he's a leftist lawyer and a greedy capitalist. Does that make him a moderate???

Reply to
Evodawg

The sport in that would get old in a hurry as there are so many of them. And what do you do with the carcass? It would be so full of shit that the meat would be useless. I'd like to see a bounty on them with the carcasses rendered into oil. That should help solve 2 problems. Art

Reply to
Artemus

do like they did with wolves. you only have to turn in the ears.

they stopped using rendered whale oil a long time ago. what would you propose we do with rendered lawyer oil? there's only so many swiss watches needing lubrication.

Reply to
chaniarts

I was thinking diesel or gasoline. OTOH a kamasutra type oil would be a natural as lawyers are(or were in this case) amazingly slippery and always good at screwing people.

Reply to
Artemus

What is so hard to understand about the fact that the hotter something is the faster it burns you? Whether it takes 2 seconds or 2 minutes to achieve a certain level of burn is significant.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Somebody had to.

Reply to
Robatoy

I guess since I'm such a fool I don't know the difference between brewing and serving temperature.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

What makes you think that there is such a difference other than that some scumbag lawyer said so?

Reply to
J. Clarke

While this is true, it doesn't necessarily make Kevin's point false. I can hold reasonably hot coffee in my mouth without burning it. However, there is a threshold beyond which I will be burnt.

Hypothetically, if going from 180 to 190 were to cross such a threshold, the severity of the difference of the result could be out of proportion to the temperature difference.

I'm not an expert and so I cannot say whether there is this type of nonlinear response. But it doesn't seem impossible.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

In news: snipped-for-privacy@q15g2000yqj.googlegroups.com, Robatoy spewed forth:

can I sue if I sew my finger?

Reply to
ChairMan

I think sew.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:55:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" scrawled the following:

How DARE you mock my mock words! Harrumph!

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:26:17 -0500, the infamous Kevin scrawled the following:

I'll bet you a case of her Depends she would have done exactly the same thing had she known, Kevin. And if she'd been smart, she'd have jumped up and waved her clothing to get air to the hot skin, as most people would have done.

Do you know why the Mickey D's coffee was hotter? Customers kept telling them that they had X miles to drive and wanted it hot when they got to work. Most people liked the hotter state of the drink for that reason and complimented them on it.

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:37:06 -0600, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

They were warned. Question: Have you ever heard anyone drink a cup of coffee or tea and slurp it out of the cup? That's because most coffee and tea are too hot to drink without first cooling them to the drinker's preferred temp.

The judge didn't rule, the jury did.

The fact doesn't make it right for a person to sue someone else for a wrong they did to themselves. This lady has a bogus award named after her now:

's the case we're discussing:
is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm not. You aren't going to be drinking 185 degree coffee though. In a restaurant setting you have your server going around to multiple tables freshening up cups, and you want the last cup to still be hot. At the drive thru I'm guessing you are going straight from the holding container, which is in close proximity, into an insulated cup and into the customer's hands pretty quickly. It seems plausible to me that you might not necessarily want the same holding temperature. You don't just have idiot customers to worry about but also your minimum wage drone who might not get the lid secured properly and drop the thing in the customer's lap. I might still decide to serve it at 185 but I wouldn't get there straight from a brewing spec.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Official Navy recipe for coffee includes:

"Hold finished coffee at temperature of 185o F to 190o F until served."

Reply to
HeyBub

So tell us how, using the typical Bunn-O-Matic coffee brewer that most restaurants have on the counter, you would go about achieving this reduced holding temperature.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Just think, those who are against the use of your new word can be described as confrivial.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Correction to the 'revisionist history' in the above paragraph.

Sawstop _first_ tried to license to all the major table-saw manufacturers. _NO_ONE_ expressed any interest.

*Then*, and only then, did they go the route of trying to get the use of the device made mandatory by government action.

When -that- failed, they went into manufacture for themselves.

You can't buy it as an 'add-on'. it has to be designed in/built in as part of the original design.

It is subject to mis-fire under certain situations, The owners manual expressly _tells_ you to disable this 'safety feature' if doing that kind of cutting.

It's also fairly costly 'in use'. If the device fires, the saw is not usable until a replacement cartridge is installed. *and* the saw- blade is probably ruined. 'Cheap insurance' if it actually saves a finger. *REALLY* expensive if it was a 'false alarm'. Especially if you _don't_ have a 'spare' on hand.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Semantics. Are you really that obtuse?

I don't really care about this.