Cut off your finger? Sue

Page 3 of 6
Neil Brooks wrote:

lawyer and a greedy capitalist. Does that make him a moderate???
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

What is so hard to understand about the fact that the hotter something is the faster it burns you? Whether it takes 2 seconds or 2 minutes to achieve a certain level of burn is significant.
-Kevin
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:10:22 -0500, the infamous Kevin

What is so hard to understand about the fact that YOU DON'T PUT HOT COFFEE BETWEEN YOUR LEGS BECAUSE EVEN AT THE MUCH LOWER 150F, IT'S HOT ENOUGH TO BURN YOU, DISTRACT YOU, AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT, POTENTIALLY KILLING SOMEONE?
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan

IN A STYROFOAM CUP

On 03/10/2010 07:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

While this is true, it doesn't necessarily make Kevin's point false. I can hold reasonably hot coffee in my mouth without burning it. However, there is a threshold beyond which I will be burnt.
Hypothetically, if going from 180 to 190 were to cross such a threshold, the severity of the difference of the result could be out of proportion to the temperature difference.
I'm not an expert and so I cannot say whether there is this type of nonlinear response. But it doesn't seem impossible.
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Official Navy recipe for coffee includes:
"Hold finished coffee at temperature of 185o F to 190o F until served."
On 3/9/2010 1:26 PM, Kevin wrote:

Bullshit. There is in fact a published standard and it calls for coffee being served at the temperature McDonalds uses.
The lawyers went around and found some crappy diners and the like that served lukewarm coffee and claimed that that was some kind of "standard".
Some years later there was a lawsuit initiated against Bunn-O-Matic, the company that makes the coffee makers used by McDonalds and just about every other restaurant in the US and they trotted out the published standard and that was the end of that suit.
> While you'd expect to get a minor burn from

And I'm sure that any liability lawyer would be more than happy to have a gullible fool like you in his jury pool.

It is now, damnit!
On 3/9/2010 10:50 PM, Steve wrote:

If you mean the lawyers lie, then no, it is NOT a standard NOW damnit. The lawyers tried to get Bunn-O-Matic with the same argument and Bunn trotted out the published industry standards and made the lawyers look like total idiots.
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:26:17 -0500, the infamous Kevin

I'll bet you a case of her Depends she would have done exactly the same thing had she known, Kevin. And if she'd been smart, she'd have jumped up and waved her clothing to get air to the hot skin, as most people would have done.
Do you know why the Mickey D's coffee was hotter? Customers kept telling them that they had X miles to drive and wanted it hot when they got to work. Most people liked the hotter state of the drink for that reason and complimented them on it.
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan
Mike M wrote:

Imagine the Far Side cartoon showing a horde of Vikings storming the castle. Arrows are flying, boiling oil being poured, swords vs. axes on the ramparts, and on the top of the nearest scaling ladder: "Not a Step!"
On 3/9/2010 11:23 AM, HeyBub wrote:

LOL!
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Not to mention the lawyers' 30% (or greater) rake-off. They don't do those TV ads because they care about you...
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:26:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman

How do I word this softly? "I can't wait for some idiot to get hurt on his SawStop saw to prove that they can't keep idiots from hurting themselves."
How about new legislation, mandating that "any lawyer who loses a frivial case has to suffer that malady he was ranting about"?
(frivial = trivial + frivolous)
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Now *there* is a suit. They're advertising that they will protect you from yourself!

Wouldn't that be trialous? ;-)
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:55:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous

How DARE you mock my mock words! Harrumph! <stomp, pout>
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan

Just think, those who are against the use of your new word can be described as confrivial.
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:13:53 -0600, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) scrawled the following:

Thank you, my profrivial friend.
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan
scrawled the following:

If you come up with something idiot proof, they'll just come up with better idiots.

The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so ingenious...