Cut off your finger? Sue

Page 1 of 6
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I couldn't agree more.

On 3/8/2010 4:54 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

My problem isn't with the asshat lawyers but with the asshat judge and asshat jury that let the trial go forward to begin with and then ruled in favor of the plaintiffs.
And it shows that the other manufacturers were right to not back sawstop--exactly what was predicted is taking place and in a few years from now the affordable power saw will cease to exist as they become laden with lawyer-induced safety features each of which adds its increment of cost.

Not to mention that the ass hat *could* have bought a Saw Stop if his finger were that important to him. Seems he is the *only* negligent one.

Won't survive appeal. It's a shame that the lawyers will be the only ones to win, here.
scott
In writes:

Don't bet on it
On 08 Mar 2010 22:47:58 GMT, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) scrawled the following:

I sure hope not. The McDonalds coffee case was by the judge and Mickey D's paid only her medical fees. They shouldn't have been forced to pay anything. The old biddy should have jumped out of the car and waved her hot clothes in the air to instantly cool them, preventing the majority of the burns. That's what we do...er, would do if that ever happened, right?

As usual. It's disgusting. My next door neighbor just lost her defense of her land from a rich neighbor who wanted it. There are still squatter's rights here in OR and even though the rich neighbor couldn't prove that she'd been using the land for 10 years, she had friends swear that she had and the judge gave it to her.
Friends, our legal, penal, political, and medical systems are severely broken. Is it time to do more than brew tea?
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
On 03/08/2010 03:26 PM, Swingman wrote:

I dislike lawyers as much as the next guy...but I also think it's a bit odd that none of the other manufacturers has even attempted to come up with something similar. Surely the Sawstop guys haven't locked down the patents that tightly.
In the interest of full disclosure, I don't own a Sawstop but I'd use one if someone bought it for me. :)
Chris
On 3/8/2010 5:13 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

The "guy", Steve Gass, _is_ a patent attorney.
Like they say ... one lawyer in a town will starve to death, two and they'll both get rich.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 03/08/2010 05:35 PM, Swingman wrote:

He also has a doctorate in physics and claims to have started woodworking at age 4. The fact that someone who invents something useful happens to be an attorney shouldn't be held against them.

Sure. And I know there was some interesting happenings in the early days of his idea when he wanted a pretty good premium for the use of the concept.
But all the other companies all have patent attorneys as well. I have a hard time believing that nobody else in the entire industry could have come up with a flesh-sensing device of their own after the better part of a decade.
Chris
On 3/8/2010 6:08 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

By dint of name alone, "lawyers" need little else be held against them... :)

A "licensing fee", and apparently nothing has changed with regard to same.

I'd say get used to it, because it's painfully obvious that that's the case.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

On 3/9/2010 12:33 AM, Mike M wrote:

That ship sailed when the Stupid Old Bat successfully sued McDonalds for spilling coffee in her lap.
Until somebody shoots every lawyer in Congress and shoots the next batch that gets elected and keeps shooting them until no lawyer dares run for Congress that's not going to get fixed. Should have been in the Constitution--no person who has ever worked as a lawyer should be eligible for Congress.
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:02:46 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

I think I left the word "remittitured" out of my last post on this subject. (had to look it up and forgot to go back) The judge seriously reduced the award, giving her only her medical costs, legal costs, and a tiny sum which is not to be discussed openly.

CONgresscritters should start out their careers with a 2-year stretch of hard time in a maximum-security pen. Those who survive might be a bit better grounded on the necessities of life.
The Constitution also should have stated that "Anyone who _seeks_ to be in office shall never be allowed to do so." The Founders were all hesitant obligers, and that turned out very well. Look what we have now! Disgusting.
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:02:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"

McDonalds was serving their coffee at a much higher temperture than the industry standard. While you'd expect to get a minor burn from spilling hot coffee on yourself in this case it was a certainty that she would receive severe burns and would not have if they followed the standard.
-Kevin
On 3/9/10 12:26 PM, Kevin wrote:

Plus, apparently, McD's had been warned several times or sued before about it or something like that, and that's why the judge ruled in favor of the lady.
Also, while we think the amount was ridiculous, the way the judge came up with it, was to calculate the a single day's coffee sales for McD's. It's akin to fining a MLB player $20,000 for doing something wrong. It's less than they make for a single at bat.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/9/2010 1:37 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

They had been sued. They had not been "warned". Are you suggesting that someone bringing suit in and of itself constitutes evidence of wrongdoing?

The woman came to grief because of her own stupidity. McD was following published industry standards.
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:37:06 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-

They were warned. Question: Have you ever heard anyone drink a cup of coffee or tea and slurp it out of the cup? That's because most coffee and tea are too hot to drink without first cooling them to the drinker's preferred temp.
The judge didn't rule, the jury did.

The fact doesn't make it right for a person to sue someone else for a wrong they did to themselves. This lady has a bogus award named after her now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Award
Here's the case we're discussing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan
On 3/10/10 6:28 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Semantics. Are you really that obtuse?

I don't really care about this.
--