Cut List software?

Does anyone have any recommendations on "cut list" software? (i.e., I need N pieces at A x B, what's the best way to cut them from a 4x8 sheet, etc)

Reply to
Keith

The only program that I have used is Sheet Layout. I have used it for years, and have upgraded a few times. I like it a lot, but have not kept current with other options. The website is

Good Luck - Bob

Reply to
RWM

Cutlist Plus is my favorite. I have the Gold edition and would as soon start a project of any size without my table saw.

may be others out there that are as good, but I feel fairly certain you will be satisfied with CutList Plus.

Reply to
Swingman

I have started using CutList last year and it makes a world of difference in my wood buying trips and figuring out panel cutting from plywood. Its made more difference than I expected.

Reply to
rob

I'm looking at the CutList "compare features" page right now. Can anyone explain what "copies allowed per part" means? I'm not really likely to make 1000 copies (or 5000 for the gold version) of anything, but...

Reply to
Ed Clarke

It's not anything to concern you unless you are running a production shop and making hundreds of a particular item, say like a Mission hall bench.

Let's say the bench requires 25 slats of the exact same dimension. Your enter the slat (part) once in CutList program and the number of "copies" that you would make for each bench would be 25.

You can see that if you were going to use the program to figure the cost, cutlist, layouts, and raw materials list for a 100 of these benches, you would need the Gold version.

Reply to
Swingman

Hello, You may also like ot have a look at our PLUS 2D software. The light version should be sufficient for rectangular parts. A demo is available from the downloadcenter at

s.shrikanth Nirvana Technologies

Reply to
Shrikanth S

I won't even try your software.

I will NOT download and run and executable (.EXE file) just to see screen shots of your product (and no one else should EVER do that either).

That was a horrible idea. Just put them in a web page to view them online. Unless there is some reason that you are making it difficult for potential customers to simply get a look at your product. If your product has any merit and you are not ashamed to show it off, you will put your screen shots on your web site.

So, in case I was vague in my opinion, you should NEVER, EVER, NOT ONE SINGLE TIME, download and run ANY executable unless ABSOLUTELY necessary!!! ESPECIALLY from a company that you have NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE!!

Downloading and using software from a reputable vendor is an acceptable risk.

Downloading and running a potentially harmful executable file just for the simple pleasure of being able to see what the eventual software even looks like and before deciding if it is right for you and then downloading and running the software, especially in this case being that the vendor is completely unknown and half way around the globe, DOES NOT QUALIFY!!

Even if you have good intentions, who knows if your server has been infected by a virus without your knowledge. Any server can be hit with a virus. So, everyone should have the automatic attitude to not trust any download from any company. Especially an unknown company. Major software companies (Microsoft, IBM, Apple, etc) have money and resources to mitigate these issues. Still, I quarantine and scan EVERYTHING I download. And I only download from companies that I trust. Since I do not know NirvanaTec, it is just not worth the risk.

Okay, my meds are starting to kick in now. Losing interest in this topic.

Oh, look. A butterfly....

codepath

Reply to
codepath

I don't think too many woodworkers could spend $400 on this type program.

Neal

Reply to
Neal

Ah! Now I understand - it's nothing to concern me as a hobbiest.

Now, I'm looking at the samples on the register page:

's no way you're going to cut sample #1 or #2 with a table saw. Do these cutlist programs presume that you're going to use a saber saw to cut out the pieces? Even sample #3 looks a little "iffy"...

Reply to
Ed Clarke

I think you could do both #1 and #2 with a table saw. You would have to flip it 90 degrees a number of times, but you could do it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

With Cutlist Plus you can change the optimization, and thus the cut layouts, between maximum utilization of material with minimum waste or vice versa. You can also change the grain direction of the cuts as well as specify the amount(%) of waste you can live with .

In short, there are a number of ways to do cut layouts depending upon these parameters, as well as optimization for yield when dealing with rough lumber.

I don't work for the company and there might be software out there just as good, this is solely my experience with that particular program.

Reply to
Swingman

Dear Sir,

Thank you for post and feedback...

I think there is a misunderstanding here...

- The demo version is a fully working version, and not some screenshots. It is the same as a normal version, except that for large problems, it displays only the first cutting patterns. You can still input your complete cutlists, optimize, get an idea of your overall utilizations, see how much you can save, and then decide if the product is useful to you.

Now that you mention it, it is indeed a excellet thought to add more screen shots of the program on the web site. I will have more details of the software with screenshots on the website by next week.

Some people do like to try the software before buying it, to see how best it suites them. If one has to try something, I am sure it has to be downloaded.

An alternative I can think of is to host it on a few download sites, (say you candownload it from TUCOWS or CNet). I will see if we can do this. Would this address the issue you have raised.

We have a large number of customers from woodworking. That apart, optimization software is availabele from $80 - $8000 and we believe we are giving value for money. What I would suggest is to try out a few real life jobs, see the amount PLUS 2D can save for you, and compare the same with doing things manually or with other products. That perhaps can justify the price.

with best regards, s.shrikanth

Shrikanth S

With CutList you can specify whether you prefer rip or cross cuts, which will result in radically different layouts for some projects.

Reply to
Charles Jones

Reply to
Mapdude

You probably will not object then when someone comes and STEALS your property.

Mapdude wrote:

Reply to
Sprog

Reply to