custom hand planes

Todays newspaper had an article about a local craftsman -
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6110478-artisan-s-planes-are-works-of-art/
http://sauerandsteiner.com/
John T.
--- ---

I would say they only have value as artwork, not as actual tools. They are very pretty, but even by the standards of infill planes they're extremely high prices.
I would also say, given that the website is merely a blog, that he's not overly interested in making a business of selling planes.
John
On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 20:18:29 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Bridge City tools is much the same, IMO, though I do have their KerfMaker.

Sauer makes a pretty good living making and selling custom planes here in Kitchener-Waterloo Ontario. He sells them pretty well world wide to fussy craftsmen and rich tool colectors.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote: >>>I would also say, given that the website is merely a blog,

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - he's already got an audience that appreciates his work, he's not looking to build a business.
Given the apparent demand, tho, and considering his expressed interest in business opportunities, maybe this is a field that Electric Comet should investigate...
John
On 11/12/2015 10:50 AM, John McCoy wrote:

[snip]

If nothing else, it's a good bet that he could certainly tell him what he's doing wrong and how to improve it all. <g>
If they work as good as they look, they're worth every cent he charges to the right people. Some people are just not satisfied unless the thing they are buying is the absolute best or unique. If they can pay for it, why not?
On 11/11/2015 6:54 PM, krw wrote:

;~) I have the KerfMaker, and a 6", 12" 24", and center finder rule. And I have their signature series 1992 Bevel Protractor, and the Squivel. The Squivel was the first of their commemorative series pieces.
I use all of them except for the Squivel. Last I checked the Squivel was selling for 5~6 times what I paid for it.
The KerfMaker was my last purchase. Too rich for my blood.
On 11/13/2015 9:00 AM, Leon wrote:

WHAT!! Mr Festool has a tool too rich for him???? Did hell just freeze over?
--
Jeff

On 11/13/2015 6:17 PM, woodchucker wrote:

A few years ago I guess it froze over. LOL