Curvy sided Birdhouse

I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any suggestions?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Jim

Stephen Quinn

> I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any > suggestions?

You could cut them with a bandsaw out of rough wood.

It would be easier if you had a piece of solid wood (from glued up pieces) cut it like a bandsaw box. I suspect this was done because the wood was painted.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

> I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any > suggestions?

  1. Saw out with bandsaw

  1. Use thin plywood cut so you can bend crosswise

  2. Laminate (rip off a bunch of thin pieces from whatever and glue up)
Reply to
dadiOH

> I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any > suggestions?

Judging from the horizontal striations on the units, my guess is that they took thin plywood and used a saw blade to cut partial-depth cuts in it (maybe 1/8" cut in 1/4" plywood). It is easier to bend the resulting panel; they could also have moistened or steamed the panel before they bent it into shape.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

There are several ways you could do this. I noticed the horizontal marks too and it may be plywood that is kerfed. It might have to be kerfed on both sides since the bends go both directions.

I think you could also use bending plywood. It's about 3/8" thick and would bend both directions easily. It doesn't have a good finished side but since it paints I think it would work.

Is it possible that all of the sides are made from the same bent pieces cut to length and turned different directions? If so, you could make one bending jig that would work for all four sides and clamp them up yourself. This would require several thin rippings of stock or you might be able to press a few layers of 1/4" ply.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I second Mikes idea of using bending plywood. Available in 4' x 8' sheets at cabinet makers supply outfits. Front and back made of 3/4" stock and the bending plywood for the sides.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

>>> I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any >> suggestions?

Bandsaw blade marks more likely

Reply to
dadiOH

>>> I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any >> suggestions?

Looks to me like they're made up of separate strips like strip-planking or a tambour.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's what it looks like to me. Strips of wood attached to canvas, then glued to the front and back so they hold their shape.

A little wood putty and paint and you'd never see the seams.

Also see here for a different style made with bendable plywood:

DerbyDad03

I'm guessing those are done the same way I did the tops of my treasure chests. It's looks like it inthe pictures anyway...

cavelamb

> I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any > suggestions?

When asked how he carved such magnificent works, Michelangelo is reported to have said "I start with a solid block of marble and chip away everthing that doesn't look like a rabbit" (or words to that effect).

Maybe his technique could be employed here?

Reply to
HeyBub

I tried making birdhouses that way but it was really hard to get my chisels through that little hole.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, but what's art without suffering?

Reply to
HeyBub

Enjoyable.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think Van Gogh sold maybe two paintings in his lifetime (to, I think, his brother), suffered a great deal, but enjoyed his distress immensely.

Reply to
HeyBub