Curvy sided Birdhouse

I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m5L4cuZaijG4Lo0K-KWchq0GkR9kkGgGTNsz0yEeDQk?feat=directlink
I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any suggestions?
-Jim
Jim

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 453&filter=curve
HTH Steve

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m5L4cuZaijG4Lo0K-KWchq0GkR9kkGgGTNsz0yEeDQk?feat=directlink
You could cut them with a bandsaw out of rough wood.
It would be easier if you had a piece of solid wood (from glued up pieces) cut it like a bandsaw box. I suspect this was done because the wood was painted.
jtpr wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m5L4cuZaijG4Lo0K-KWchq0GkR9kkGgGTNsz0yEeDQk?feat=directlink
1. Saw out with bandsaw
2. Use thin plywood cut so you can bend crosswise
3. Laminate (rip off a bunch of thin pieces from whatever and glue up)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
jtpr wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m5L4cuZaijG4Lo0K-KWchq0GkR9kkGgGTNsz0yEeDQk?feat=directlink
Judging from the horizontal striations on the units, my guess is that they took thin plywood and used a saw blade to cut partial-depth cuts in it (maybe 1/8" cut in 1/4" plywood). It is easier to bend the resulting panel; they could also have moistened or steamed the panel before they bent it into shape.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Bandsaw blade marks more likely
--

dadiOH
____________________________

There are several ways you could do this. I noticed the horizontal marks too and it may be plywood that is kerfed. It might have to be kerfed on both sides since the bends go both directions.
I think you could also use bending plywood. It's about 3/8" thick and would bend both directions easily. It doesn't have a good finished side but since it paints I think it would work.
Is it possible that all of the sides are made from the same bent pieces cut to length and turned different directions? If so, you could make one bending jig that would work for all four sides and clamp them up yourself. This would require several thin rippings of stock or you might be able to press a few layers of 1/4" ply.
Mike O.

I second Mikes idea of using bending plywood. Available in 4' x 8' sheets at cabinet makers supply outfits. Front and back made of 3/4" stock and the bending plywood for the sides.
Joe G
On 6/1/2010 10:21 AM, Mike O. wrote:

Looks to me like they're made up of separate strips like strip-planking or a tambour.

That's what it looks like to me. Strips of wood attached to canvas, then glued to the front and back so they hold their shape.
A little wood putty and paint and you'd never see the seams.
Also see here for a different style made with bendable plywood:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bentwood-Birdhouse /
jtpr wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m5L4cuZaijG4Lo0K-KWchq0GkR9kkGgGTNsz0yEeDQk?feat=directlink
I'm guessing those are done the same way I did the tops of my treasure chests. It's looks like it inthe pictures anyway...
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/chest.htm
--

Richard Lamb

jtpr wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m5L4cuZaijG4Lo0K-KWchq0GkR9kkGgGTNsz0yEeDQk?feat=directlink
When asked how he carved such magnificent works, Michelangelo is reported to have said "I start with a solid block of marble and chip away everthing that doesn't look like a rabbit" (or words to that effect).
Maybe his technique could be employed here?

I tried making birdhouses that way but it was really hard to get my chisels through that little hole.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah, but what's art without suffering?

Enjoyable.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think Van Gogh sold maybe two paintings in his lifetime (to, I think, his brother), suffered a great deal, but enjoyed his distress immensely.