Curved apron

I'm in the process of making a maple train table (Thomas the Train) for the son.
I want to make an apron that has a curved apron (6" wide near each tenon and 3" in the middle). How do you apply clamping pressure during assembly without causing the apron to flex and possible crack in the center?
Am I being to paranoid?
yes... :)
dave
stoutman wrote:

no.. they ARE out to get you.. *g*
I would guess that it depends on the size of the arc and the thickness of the material??
You can use edging clamps, but the cabinet shop that I dumpster dive at cuts templates out of particle board or cheap plywood and clamps the template..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
This is a very vague question but here are some ideas.
1.Laminate the apron out of multiple strips of 1/8-1/4 strips of hardwood, depending on the arc diameter. - Create a form out of a stack of 3/4" MDF pieces cut to the inside radius - Cut notches in the back half of the form about every 5-10 degrees so you can use clamps or just radius the back of the forms concentric to the front. - Make a sandwich of the strips, flat on a table, with glue in-between each (use poly or resin glue that hardens to hold the shape, not typical wood glue. - Place the snadwiched stack against the form with clamp at the center. Add clamps out toward each end slowly pulling the sandwich into the form. - Oh yeah, wax the form first or use wax paper. - You could do this with all cheap wood and only have the outer layer be nice or even veneer it after.
2. Do basicially the same thing but use wiggle-wood (a bendy plywood) and veneer or outer strip.
3. Go to tablelegs.com and buy a pre-made radiused apron.
2. You ca